Abt Associates Inc. is seeking qualified Malaria Specialists for the position of Technical Director/Malaria Specialist for an US Government funded malaria project in Zimbabwe. The remaining 3-years project will work to continue strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP) at national, provincial, district, and/or community levels, related to case management and malaria in pregnancy, national policies, mosquito nets, social behavior change communication, surveillance/M&E and operation research .
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Technical Director will be responsible for technical oversight of malaria treatment and prevention activities. He/she will work in close collaboration with NMCP and Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC) counterparts to support a range of activities essential to malaria prevention and treatment in Zimbabwe. This position is based in Zimbabwe and is contingent upon successful award of the contract to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the strategy for and oversee the implementation of the project’s malaria prevention and treatment activities including LLIN distribution, facility and community case management activities, prevention of malaria during pregnancy, and SBCC interventions
- Provide general technical support to the NMCP in malaria control strategic interventions: case management and malaria in pregnancy, national policies, mosquito nets, social behavior change communication, surveillance/M&E and research. This support includes developing tools, participating in technical working groups, and providing technical leadership
- Support direct reports to implement training programs for the public and private sector in quality malaria case management and IPTp and other malaria control strategic interventions
- Collaborate with NMCP, PMD and DMO staff to strengthen quality improvement and supervision systems for malaria control interventions
- Promote the use of indicators to monitor compliance with case management standards
- Oversee supportive supervision of trained facility and community health workers
- Lead and contribute to work plan development and project reporting
- Work with M&E Officer to monitor and evaluate the progress and impact of activities and guide operational research studies
- Document project results and impacts in various forms, including media stories, lessons learned, case studies, etc.
- Lead and supervise direct reports with particular focus on their key tasks and the quality of project deliverables.
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree
- Strong background in malaria epidemiology preferred
- At least 10 years of experience implementing malaria programs in developing countries
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy
- Possess outstanding professional reputation and have strong demonstrated interpersonal, written, and oral presentation skills
- Willingness to travel within the country as needed
- Oral and written English language required, additional knowledge of recognized local languages preferred
- Zimbabwean professionals are encouraged to apply
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.