Position: Technical Director (TD)
Nationality: American National (AN) or Third Country National (TCN)
Base of Operations: Kabul, Afghanistan
Required Clearance (to be obtained): Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT)
Tetra Tech seeks candidates to be considered for a Technical Director position on the INL-funded 5-year Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP II) in Afghanistan.
This program is designed to utilize international and Afghan advisors to train and build capacity for Afghan officials within the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Supreme Court (SCT), Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), and other justice organizations through three main components: organizational capacity building, legislative reform and case management system.
Duties: The Technical Director shall:
- In the DCOT-A’s absence, serve as the Acting Deputy Chief of Team
- Coordinate with all team members to get information from them on weekly activities
- Produce weekly Kabul-based reports and weekly regional reports
- Write work plan elements from Kabul
- Write newsletter type updates for release to interagency community
- Work with team management to track projects and deadlines
- Write a bi-weekly reporting cable on a completed project for submission to the U.S. Embassy
- Coordinate with each JSSP Section or Team to maintain record keeping on all statistics related to JSSP activities and develop and write reports
- Provide these reports regularly to INL/Kabul and INL/AP
- Assist in the development, revision if necessary, and monitoring of the JSSP work plan
- Assist JSSP team members in revision of GIROA Ministry strategies as required
- File reports for team activities and accomplishments on a weekly, quarterly and annual basis, or as otherwise assigned by the COT
- Assist in writing the work plans and statements of work for JSSP Sections, Advisors and Afghan Legal Consultants
- Supervise and coordinate all M&E activities with the Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor, including the development of M&E plans, collection of data, and production of weekly reports
- A minimum of one year in a management role, and demonstrated abilities that include strategic planning, and program management, as well as experience working with budgets
- A minimum of one year in a position requiring production of professional level written work
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate work product development with co-workers
- The candidate should demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the formal Afghan Justice system, with a particular emphasis on the coordination and interaction of the Afghan justice ministries
- A juris doctor or master’s degree from an accredited institution. Juris doctor degree is preferred
- Prior in-country Afghanistan experience is preferred
- Willingness to endure austere living conditions and the inherent danger of living and working in Afghanistan, including possibly living in tents, double bunks, dry hooches, etc.
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. In addition, he or she must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours
- The TD must be able to cite past professional or personal experience that demonstrates an ability to work creatively and effectively in stressful situations while maintaining a positive attitude
- Possess superior interpersonal skills shall be understood to include the ability to interact in a constructive, cooperative, and harmonious manner, to work effectively as a team player, to establish positive relationships and gain the confidence of others.
- Demonstrate the highest caliber communication skills, including oral briefing abilities, and the ability to draft clear, precise written statements, and the ability to effectively edit written work compiled from a series of authors into a seamless and coherent complete report.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the position and project name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
Tetra Tech is a global, leading consulting firm providing practical and sustainable international development services. From promoting peace, stability, rule of law, and economic growth, to health and education, to improved natural resource management, Tetra Tech brings an integrated approach that is focused on building the capacity of communities and individuals to create strong, healthy, and resilient societies. With over 16,000 employees in over 400 offices across the globe, Tetra Tech’s capabilities encompass the full life cycle of solutions. Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations, both in the US and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workforce. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial, and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.