EnCompass LLC is seeking Technical Director candidates for an upcoming five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Health Workforce Management activity in Nigeria. The purpose of this five-year task order is to support the establishment of a cost‐effective, well-trained and motivated health workforce, particularly in targeted rural and remote areas of Bauchi, Sokoto, Kebbi, Ebonyi States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The position is full-time and based in Abuja with travel to Bauchi, Sokoto, Kebbi, and Ebonyi States and the Federal Capital Territory.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
The Technical Director is a member of the senior management team and will work closely with the team to ensure that the project activities are of high quality and adhere to global standards, national policies and best practices on human resources systems strengthening. The position will ensure the adaptation and integration of emerging knowledge and innovative solutions within project activities. The technical director will serve as the Country Director during the absence of the incumbent.
Essential functions include:
- Provide technical leadership and strategy for the strengthening of HRH management systems, including: improving the development and implementation of state/lga HRH plans; improving health workforce management; effectively utilizing HRH; strengthening academic health institutions; and advocating for an enabling HRH policy environment
- Identify best practices in workforce performance management systems that improve productivity and retention of health staff. Support the integration and scaling up of best practices in workforce management
- Oversee improvements to in-service training system and performance by supporting the GoN in its stewardship role
- Maintain strong results focus with partners, and provide regular technical input into, and support for, the implementation of work-plans
- Ensures project activities are in compliance with all award conditions, and state-specific special provisions
- Other duties as assigned
- Post-graduate degree or higher in public health, health systems, health policy and planning, or other related discipline
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience on public health projects of similar nature, size and complexity, preferably for USAID or other donors in Nigeria
Experience and Skills
- Direct relevant experience in designing and implementing HRH programs in the areas of pre-service training, in-service training, human resource information systems, HRH policy research and implementation, HRH leadership strengthening, HRH monitoring and evaluation and HRH retention
- Professional experience interacting with other donors, implementing partners, private sector, and host country government
- Possess excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communications skills in English; demonstrated supervisory skills; and ability to work well on a team
- Citizens of Nigeria are strongly encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the application
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.