ABA ROLI seeks a part-time Technical Expert on child labor and working conditions for a program to increase understanding of the nature and extent of child labor and unacceptable conditions of work in the context of women’s economic empowerment initiatives (WEEI). The program seeks to spur a transformation in the delivery and development of WEEI, replacing child labor and unacceptable working conditions with business practices that empower women and ensure the wellbeing of children and workers. This position will be based in Manila, Philippines.
The Technical Expert will, along with identified international technical experts, help ensure that child labor issues and acceptable conditions of work are appropriately incorporated into WEEI tools and, to these ends, also support the program monitoring and evaluation (M&E) process.
This position is for a grant award expected to begin in the first quarter of 2018. The position will be contingent on grant funding.
- Reports to identified international technical experts.
- Support an assessment of child labor and acceptable conditions of work in the context of WEEI.
- Help ensure appropriate incorporation of child labor and acceptable conditions of work in the development of a toolkit applicable to WEEI and support piloting of the toolkit.
- Support local dissemination of program-related tools and materials.
- Support required ABA ROLI reporting, monitoring, and evaluation, including by reviewing proposed M&E tools for cultural and linguistic appropriateness and logistical feasibility and supporting collection, analysis, and management of data related to performance indicators.
- Help create and maintain strong relationships with local partners (e.g. NGOs, governmental entities).
- Serve as liaison for activities with local partners.
- Contribute to memos relevant to ABA ROLI and local partners, the donor, newsletters, material for websites, and focal area requests.
- Support other programming and activities, as assigned.
- Must have a law degree or degree in similar field and at least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Experience on issues related to child labor and acceptable conditions of work, in particular legal issues.
- Familiarity with WEE.
- Experience with data collection, database management, data analysis, and report writing.
- English language proficiency at a professional or bilingual level.
- Experience working with USG funded programs.
- Strong network of relevant local contacts.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html