Norwegian People’s Aid is seeking Technical Field managers for humanitarian clearance operations in Iraq
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament’s vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
NPA started supporting Iraq in 1995 conducting mine clearance in the northern kurdish region. In 2010 NPA shifted its focus to southern Iraq, conducting capacity building and survey and clearance operations. In addition, and in support to the humanitarian releif effort resulting from the liberation of areas previously held by ISIL, NPA established an IED and Improvised Landmine clearance programme operating in northern Iraq, based out of Erbil. The progam has a planned 217 staff for 2018, operating out of 4 operational bases, 2 project offices and the country office in Baghdad.
NPA Iraq is seeking an experienced Technical Field Manager is responsible for managing NPA’s survey and clearance operations in Iraq. The role will focus is on the liberated areas from the recent conflicts and be based in Mosul and require travel to operational locations in and around Erbil and Ramadi.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Responsibility for daily planning, supervision, and execution of HMA activities, including NTS, TS, mechanical, and manual clearance, and to ensure that the operational QM system is maintained at all times
- Conduct manual, semi-remote, and remote IED defeat techniques
- Draft SOPs and other technical documents relevant for clearance of the explosive hazards in the area of operations
- Plan and implement training and capacity development of local staff in all relevant procedures, and ensure accreditation of NPA’s personnel and teams in the area of operations
- Provide progress reports on technical, operational (including impact), and administrative matters
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Proven ability and experience in developing and managing a team in survey and clearance of mines, ERW and IEDs
- Accreditation and/or certification in IEDD from an internationally recognized agency or school
- Experience with IEDD
- Experience in operational planning and proven analytical skills
- Experience with HMA Toolbox and Land Release
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Experience managing armoured plant machine operations
- Experience in Building Search and with Front End Loaders
- Proven experience in drafting technical notes, SOP and training packages
- Experience in rubble removal/Ammunition Supply Area (ASA) recovery
- Recent experience working in Iraq and/or Arabic language
We are looking for someone with the experience and abililty to work independently, be proactive and make decisions as required. Good communication skills, cultural understanding, diplomacy and interpersonal skills is a prerequesite for being succesful in this position.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday*plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health, cross-cultural communication skills, positive attitude, creativity and the ability to work undeer pressure and diffucult conditions. One of NPA’s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply!
For more information about NPA, please see NPA’s website at www.npaid.org / www.folkehjelp.no or check us out on Facebook or Twitter.
Please note: Selection and interviews will take place continuously. The position could be filled before the closing date.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.