NPA has been present in Lebanon through partnerhip and long term development work since 1982. In 2000, however, a steep increase in landmine and cluster munition accidents after the Israeli withdrawal from South Lebanon, led NPA to start up mine risk education and victim assistance. This later became part of an established Humanitarian Disarmament (HD) programme in the country. Today, the NPA HD programme conducts survey and clearance of landmines, cluster munitions and other Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) in several parts of Lebanon.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Daily planning, supervision, and execution of HMA activities, including NTS, TS, and clearance
- Personally conduct manual, semi-remote, and remote IED defeat techniques
- Maintain and develop Standard Operational Procedures (SOP) and technical documents as relevant
- Ensure accreditation of operational teams and ensure operations are done in accordance with overall plans, procedures and national and international standards
- Build capacity of the teams, plan and implement training of staff in survey and clearance
- Provide progress reports on technical and operational matters, as well as impact, and liaise with relevant stakeholders as and when relevant, national and international
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Relevant higher education or equivalent military qualifications
- Proven ability to develop and manage a team in survey and clearance of IEDs
- Experience in operational planning and proven analytical skills
- Good knowledge of Humanitarian Disarmament policy, IMAS, NMAS, SOPs and land release principles (and/or IATG when relevant)
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Experience in High Risk Search
- Experience with HMA Toolbox and Land Release
- Proven experience in drafting technical notes, SOP and training packages
- Hands on mine action experience with non-technical survey, technical survey, manual demining, EOD, BAC, mechanical and/ or animal detection
- Good computer skills, GIS skills
- Recent Middle East experience
- Arabic language
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA’s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note: Selection and interviews will take place continuously. The position could be filled before the closing date.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulation
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
About the Organization
The vision of Norwegian People's Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.