Save the Children is seeking a Technical & Innovation Advisor for a five-year USAID-funded Improved Health & Nutrition Activity program in Guatemala. The program focuses on achieving significant and sustainable improvements in nutrition and health outcomes of target select municipalities of the Western Highlands, which will result in reductions of stunted children, and maternal and child morbidity and mortality, and lowering the prevalence of anemia and micronutrient deficiencies. These results will occur by improving service delivery, incorporating digital advanced technology and strengthening health systems, especially of human resources for health (HRH) in Guatemala. Households with pregnant women and children under two years of age (i.e., 1000 days window of opportunity) will be a primary, though not the exclusive, focus of interventions.
The Advisor will be responsible for incorporating digital advances into the program’s approach in order to reach large groups or communities with standardized information. S/he will work to gather information in regular intervals from large numbers of people and across large geographical areas to collect, store, and share relevant information. The Advisor will utilize this information to recommend and adopt approaches that build on existing digital approaches as well as incorporate innovative solutions to meet the needs of beneficiaries.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- Develop an approach that integrated science, information and communication technology and innovation approaches into activities at all levels, including rural indigenous communities.
- Propose and offer guidance on programming that increases the use of technology, including digital technologies, to improve development outcomes and empower communities
- Promote user-friendly and sustainable technology solutions or other innovations for vulnerable populations.
- Ensure that the program is delivered according to the contractual requirement with the donor and government i.e. that all activities and deliverables are completed within the agreed timescale and budget, reports are submitted as per agreed schedules and any other requirements or criteria are fulfilled
- Design and regularly update detailed annual work plans and ensure these are used by the team appropriately to monitor progress towards completion and achievement of program objectives
- Manage and motivate direct reports to achieve their work plan objectives, and to contribute to the achievement of the overall program goals
- Maintain good working relationships with officials, government ministries, implementing partners and the international and local NGO community
- Work with program staff to identify the technical support needs of the program and ensure this support is provided
- Monitor country-level activities, identify challenges and develop appropriate reporting and results of project activities to the COP including progress and annual reports
- Attend and actively participate in periodic program meetings and ensure a summary of progress and challenges are prepared and presented with follow-up actions as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or above in Media, Communications, Technology, Innovation Management, International Development or a related subject
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience working in technology and innovation/entrepreneurship, and/or international development
- Direct experience promoting user-friendly and sustainable technology solutions or other innovations for vulnerable populations
- Demonstrated experience in managing and supervising a technical team
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders
- In-depth knowledge of USAID approaches and regulations
- Strengths in inspiring and enabling others through teamwork, training, and capacity building to realize organizational objectives
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish
- Familiarity with the political, social, and cultural context of Guatemala is required
Qualified local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.
About the Organization
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world's most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.