The Local Health System Sustainability Project (LHSS) helps low- and middle-income countries transition to sustainable, self-financed health systems to support universal health coverage. The project works with partner countries and local stakeholders to reduce financial barriers to care and treatment, ensure equitable access to essential health services for all people, and improve the quality of health services.
Through this activity, LHSS will provide support to the Government of Peru to address the additional HIV-related system demands from the influx of Venezuelan migrants, to ensure adequate, reliable, and sustainable provision of care for those living with HIV. This technical assistance will include working with the Ministry of Health (MOH) and other local partners to conduct a system assessment to identify bottlenecks and agree on potential solutions for these and strengthening the capacity of the MOH to coordinate the health response for migrants and to conduct HIV commodities forecasting and tracking of antiretroviral (ARVS). LHSS will work with the government of Peru and other international, regional, and local partners to build on existing efforts to help plan for the design and implementation of a regional response network and cross-border tracking system for Venezuelans living with HIV.
The LHSS Peru activity will be a 12-month program, starting in March 2021, based in Lima. The project will not have a physical office. The selected candidate will be expected to work at their home or in a space of their choosing that maintains internet connection and ability to access Abt systems.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Technical Lead for the anticipated USAID-funded Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Peru Activity (previously titled Achieving Sustainability through Local Health Systems, ASLHS). This position will report to the home office-based Country Manager. The position will be full time and based remotely, with possible in-person meetings periodically (depending on Covid-19 health restrictions).
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Direct project management responsibility for LHSS Peru activity to deliver results.
- Provide strategic direction and technical leadership to produce project results, including implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation.
- Monitor activity progress against objective goals stipulated in the project work plan and ensure successful completion within timeline.
- Serve as the project’s representative and key liaison with USAID, government counterparts, and local partners/stakeholders and manage project relationships with each.
- Provide leadership and technical support specifically for project staff, subcontractors, and consultants.
- Ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation and reporting.
- Monitor the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high-quality work and internal control, using adaptive management techniques as appropriate.
- Support the design, development, and implementation of the project MEL plan, indicators, and learning agenda, including developing relevant indicators for LHSS Peru.
- Design tools for and carry out routine data collection, monitoring, and reporting for project activities and assessments, including conducting data analysis and disseminating results to internal and external audiences.
- Design and execute data quality management plan, including procedures for data collection and data entry, and data quality checks.
- Exercise ultimate responsibility for on-time reporting and high-quality technical and monitoring and evaluation deliverables, budget management, and compliance.
- Oversee development of job descriptions and hiring of local experts as well as directly provide technical assistance and advice on policy development and implementation strategies related to the project.
Within the LHSS project, the Technical Lead will be supported by LHSS home office-based operations, subcontracted partners in the fields of capacity development and health commodities forecasting and will report to the LHSS Peru Technical Lead.
- Master’s degree or higher in public health/health management or a medical degree is required.
- Minimum 10 years’ prior experience in implementing complex health system strengthening activities in the public and/or private sectors is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Peruvian health system, including policies and programs for PLHIV from Seguro Integral de Salud and MINSA
- Two years’ experience leading and managing USAID-funded projects with PEPFAR funding is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated successful experience in conducting major health projects or leading health organizations, including implementing health financing projects.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems for project learning and results reporting
- Demonstrated experience synthesizing project data across knowledge areas and translating project monitoring data/evidence to knowledge and learning products or action.
- Proficient English and fluent Spanish writing/speaking skills required.
- Peru nationals are encouraged to apply.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.