Contractual Arrangement: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: 3 to 12 months
Job Posting: Mar 7, 2018, 11:27:09 AM
Closing Date: Mar 27, 2018, 9:59:00 PM
Primary Location: India-New Delhi
Organization: SE/CDS Department of Communicable Diseases (CDS)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
In collaboration with Member countries, international and bilateral organizations and NGOs to reduce major neglected tropical diseases through strengthening the capacity of the Member States. To eliminate yaws and leprosy, lymphatic filariasis, leishmaniasis within targeted date. To prevent and control disease vectors, intermediate hosts and animal reservoirs responsible for the transmission of major vector borne diseases.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct technical guidance and supervision of RA NTD, and the overall supervision by the Director, Department of Communicable Diseases, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1) Plan and develop methodologies and evaluate the activities of the regional NTD programmes on the basis of the Regional Director’s priorities and policies and ensure close cooperation with other related areas;
2) Provide technical support on elimination of NTDs including policies, guidelines, strategies and priorities; technical support for planning, information exchange, monitoring and evaluation, advocacy, community mobilization and intersectoral coordination;
3) Monitor the progress made by the Member State on WHO NTD Roadmap targets and facilitate coordination and exchange of information with the WHO Country Offices, WHO headquarters, WHO Regional Offices and other organizations;
4) Support Member States through country visits, monitoring and evaluation of the national programmes and by providing advice and guidance to programme managers, consultants and WHO Country Office colleagues;
5) Promote and coordinate activities of international, bilateral and voluntary agencies in the delivery of the programme, advice and assist national authorities in identifying training needs and in organizing national and educational activities;
6) Collaborate with other units within CDS and other Departments in Regional Office in the implementation of NTD elimination programmes;
7) Mobilize extra-budgetary resources to meet the programme needs which enhance the programme implementation;
8) Promote operational and implementation research on NTDs by encouraging the application of appropriate research methods, ensuring collection and distribution of research information, formulating protocols and scrutinizing research proposals for funding advising on relevance and technical aspects of their design;
9) Perform any other related work as required and as may be assigned by the Supervisors;
10) Submit an assignment report on completion of assignment (Mandatory).
- Essential: Medical degree; post graduate qualification in medical or health sciences and/or Masters in PublicHealth.
- Essential: At least 7 years of work experience, including considerable experience obtained in an international context, with progressive responsibility in policy analyses and advice as well as technical assistance to countries, including capacity building; and contribution to normative work to support country policy and technical assistance.
- Desirable: Experience in developing countries.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of a wide range of public health issues. Sound knowledge of the principles and practice of vector borne diseases and their control.