Abt Associates seeks a qualified Technical Officer for the USAID-funded Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Dominican Republic Activity. Through this activity, LHSS will support the strengthening of the health system to sustainably address the HIV epidemic. The LHSS project will strengthen the capacity of the Government of Dominican Republic to institutionalize the implementation and policies needed to operationalize and supervise global standards of clinical care in the areas of human resources management, health information systems, medication management, and mobilizing domestic resources for services for people living with HIV (PLHIV). This project will be implemented in the complex context of a decentralized, mixed (public and private) health system – and the resource-constrained COVID-19 response.
LHSS will assist the Ministry of Health and the National Health Service (SNS) as well as provincial and regional health authorities in four priority regions to: develop health policies, including national guides; strengthen management of and planning for human resources in health, including training systems and instruments; and to standardize health services that respond to policy changes, including the introduction of community-based HIV services. LHSS will provide support to the GoDR for the implementation of a national and sub-national clinical and programmatic supervision system.
The LHSS Dominican Republic Activity Technical Officer is an 11 month position, starting August 2020, based in Santo Domingo.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Technical Officer will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
- Assist the LHSS Chief of Party in monitoring activity progress against objective goals stipulated in the project work plans and ensure successful completion within timeline.
- Provide technical insight and guidance to activity leads.
- Assist activity leads with completion of deliverables and ensure high quality of product delivery in accordance with LHSS and client standards.
- Support the LHSS Chief of Party to develop technical strategies for implementing project activities and achieving project objectives.
- Provide regular updates on activity progress and relevant local health sector developments to LHSS Dominican Republic Chief of Party, LHSS’s US-based staff, and USAID.
- Plan and represent LHSS in meetings and workshops with the Ministry of Health, Social Health Insurance Institution, and Institute for Healthcare Improvement, President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), and other sector stakeholders, as required by the COP.
- Support routine data collection, monitoring and reporting for project activities.
- Assist on the preparation of monitoring and evaluation reports
- Prepare communications highlighting technical contributions of the project and recommendations for Dominican health and HIV policy.
Within the LHSS project, the Technical Officer will be supported by LHSS home office-based operations, subcontracted partners in the fields of health quality improvement and capacity development, and will report to the LHSS Dominican Republic Activity Chief of Party.
- A Master’s degree with a minimum of 6 years of experience in HIV policy, public health, or a related field
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in HIV policy, public health, human resources for health and health policy and planning
- Previous experience working closely or collaborating with the Dominican Ministry of Health, SNS, PEPFAR, USAID, and other key health sector stakeholders
- Previous experience coordinating health projects and/or international donor-funded projects.
- Experience managing and tracking a budget
- Previous experience drafting consulting agreements, hiring consultants, and overseeing consultants’ work
- Previous experience providing technical assistance and overall support to consultants
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Spanish, proficient English writing and speaking skills
- Dominican Republic nationals are encouraged to apply
- Experience and knowledge of the Dominican Family Health Insurance (SFS) scheme and ongoing health reforms in the country
- Experience and knowledge of clinical management of HIV in Dominican Republic, human resources for health policies and management, supply chains for medicines and medical supplies, strategies for improving access to quality condoms
- Expert knowledge of HIV policy and the current HIV epidemic in the Dominican Republic
- Previous experience working on a USAID-funded project in the Dominican Republic
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
 Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) was previously titled Achieving Sustainability through Local Health Systems (ASLHS).
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.