The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the upcoming five-year, USAID Liberia Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) project. The DCOP will lead the design and execution of the technical implementation of the project in collaboration with the Chief of Party (COP). He/she will provide the technical direction for the project and be responsible for all technical decisions. He/she will design and guide interventions, work with the COP to build key technical partnerships, oversee and conduct technical training, and represent the project in technical forums and to USAID. Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
The position will be based in Monrovia, and will report to the Chief of Party. Position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement annual workplans and provide technical oversight for all HSS activities under the project.
- Serve as the main point of contact with technical experts in the public and private sector, especially with the Liberian Ministry of Health.
- Build and maintain relationships with a broad range of prospective partners and participate in relevant technical working groups.
- Supervise technical staff members and consultants to support program activities and deliverables.
- Oversee all technical capacity building activities for the project.
- Contribute to the development of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Plan, including gathering and analyzing data, and the adaptaion of activities based on MEL results.
- Prepare technical reports, workplans, and quarterly reports.
- Together with the COP, serve as a senior manager to ensure activities are in compliance with USAID rules and regulations and activities meet program targets.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree or higher in Public Health, Policy and Governance, or a medical degree.
- At least 10 years of experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating complex health programs with an emphasis on health systems strengthening; health financing; and health sector policy and strategies.
- Previous USAID project experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated technical depth in health systems strengthening in Liberia or similar country settings.
- Experience working with Liberia Ministry of Health and other relevant ministries strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required.
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships with other projects, local organizations, host country governments and international agencies.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com