Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded PMI VectorLink Project. VectorLink will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries and Cambodia where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Technical Specialist/Environmental Compliance Officer is responsible for overseeing program compliance with United States Government (USG) and local environmental regulations, and program adherence to requirements as laid out in USAID Programmatic and Supplemental Environmental Assessments and amendments, and compliance with the PMI IRS Best Management Practices Manual.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Leads and coordinate environmental compliance efforts for all program spray activities, inlcuding the implementation and oversight of procedures for:
- Quality and safety of insecticide procurements;
- Procedures for distribution, storage, and handling of insecticides; and
- Procedures for disposal of insecticide, waste products, and packaging material in accordance with national and international standards
- Tracks the status of pesticide and geographic spray area decisions with PMI and NMCP, and determining the 22 CFR 216 documentation needs for the upcoming campaign
- Timely preparation of a country-specific Supplemental Environmental Assessment, amendment, or Letter Report, as appropriate
- Determines the registration status of proposed pesticides in the country of use prior to shipment, and ensuring that registration needs are satisfied before the arrival of insecticide
- Ensures that quality assurance testing on insecticide samples is performed and demonstrates that the insecticide meets specifications prior to shipment
- Trains and technical assistance to IRS implementation teams and counterparts
- Liaises with project counterparts from the Ministry of Health and Sanitation, and other regulatory and governmental authorities
- Identifies the proper and efficient disposition of contaminated wastes in accordance of country capacities and BMP requirements and initiating the MOUs for the wastes management
- Develops of waste management plans prior to the initiation of spray activities describing the disposition plan for each waste stream generated during the spray season
- Performs of smart-phone Pre-Season Environmental Compliance Assessments for each operational site (soak pit and/or storeroom) two months prior to spray
- Performs vehicle inspections prior to signing lease agreements to be sure that all proposed vehicles meet Best Management Practice (BMP) requirements
- Tracks and supervises work required on operational sites prior to commencement of spray
- Confirms storage conditions and soak pit construction conform to BMPs.
- Provides or oversees the annual environmental compliance training of spray teams and storekeepers, as well as Abt staff as necessary
- Performs a Pre-Season Environmental Compliance Green Light Inspection for each operational site 1-2 weeks prior to spray
- Continual supervision of spray operations and completion of BMP checklists throughout the spray season
- Oversight of the closure of seasonal operational sites at the end of the spray season, and documenting proper storage of equipment and leftover insecticides
- Oversight of waste management activities (incineration of sachets and masks, recycling of other wastes where possible, thorough washing of disposable items) to be sure that wastes are managed responsibly.
- Preparation of the EC portion of the End of Spray report, including a description of the important points noted throughout the campaign, and a consolidation of the information gathered from supervisory inspections
- Identifies needs for next year’s spray campaign
- Uses data from the smart phone data collection system to optimize operational site selection and optimization
- Develops a database or system of spreadsheets to consolidate all necessary and useful information pertaining to environmental compliance in the ECO’s country, and US requirements under US 22 CFR 216
- Frequent travel to field sites to monitor IRS operations and implementation
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Environmental Health, or other relevant field
- At least 8 years of relevant professional work experience, including significant experience in environmental health and inseciticide use and management
- Two years of successful training and coaching experience in a field environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets
- Demonstrated leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills
- Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable
- English language proficiency
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.