The Technical Advisor for Humanitarian Assistance will join Blumont’s growing Technical Services Unit (TSU), based in Arlington, Virginia. S/he is responsible for providing technical leadership in humanitarian assistance across a range of sectors including food security, livelihoods, shelter and settlements, and protection. S/he will work closely with Blumont’s Business Development Unit and program teams (in field and HQ) to help design and provide technical support for emergency response and early recovery interventions. She/he will also provide strategic leadership in exploring new programming opportunities, help develop and/or manage relationships with multi-lateral and bi-lateral funding agencies, international and local implementing partners, and universities; and contribute to development of institutional knowledge base and products related to humanitarian assistance.
Essential Job Functions:
- Analyze donor priorities and trends, pursue and assess opportunities in collaboration with Blumont’s Business Development Unit and Program Operations Units (in HQ and field), lead assessments and technical design as part of the capture process for new business opportunities.
- Lead or contribute to development of technical design for proposals, concept notes, and expressions of interest for donor-funded programs.
- Provide short-term technical assistance on a need basis and contribute to technical quality review processes for ongoing programs.
- Author and/or contribute to the development of technical articles, papers, reports; and lead and/or support presentations, seminars and workshops on relevant topics on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with program operation teams, field teams and other relevant stakeholders to support the development of tools and resources to train and mentor Blumont staff; and replicate and scale-up promising field practices.
- Represent Blumont and TSU at meetings and conferences related to humanitarian assistance.
- Develop and manage relationships with bi-lateral, multi-lateral and private sector clients and international and national implementing partners to inform programming and new business decisions.
- Identify and manage relationships with leading technical experts in the field
Required Skills & Experience:
- Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in International Development, Social Work, or relevant fields.
- Minimum 8 years of international experience working in humanitarian assistance with robust knowledge of international norms, minimum standards, and best practices in the field. For Bachelor’s degree holders, minimum 11 years of experience preferred.
- A track record in the solution design, development/writing of successful proposals, and implementation of relevant programs with measurable results for various donors.
- A strong understanding of research methodologies and monitoring and evaluation mechanisms in humanitarian assistance programming.
- At least 2 year of combined experience managing staff (international or in the US)
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
- A passion for humanitarian assistance work, entrepreneurial and innovation way of problem solving and a team player.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience working with or knowledge of sector actors including local and international NGOs and funders in the MENA, Afghanistan, Pakistan and/or Sub-Saharan Africa regions
- Experience providing training and/or mentoring.
- Fluency in Arabic and/or French a plus
- Excellent organizational and editing skills.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and high level of organization and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills, including ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders in a professional manner.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the field to provide direct support for and/or oversight of donor/client funded programs and projects.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced and changing environment, and meet strict deadlines
- Normal Office Conditions.
About the Organization
Blumont, a charitable, non-profit, non-governmental organization, focuses its operations in regions of the world that present social, political and technical challenges. Blumont specializes in facilitating and supporting assistance that is tailored specifically to those most in need. Blumont works in collaboration with a wide range of organizations in the design and implementation of humanitarian relief and development aid programs, including U.S. and foreign government agencies, bilateral and international donor organizations, international finance organizations, faith-based organizations, advocacy groups, international and local NGOs, and U.S. corporations. Blumont's mission is to reduce the suffering of the world’s most vulnerable groups and provide tools and resources needed to increase their self-sufficiency. We accomplish our mission by implementing targeted cost-effective relief and development programs that improve the lives of these vulnerable groups