Abt Associates seeks a qualified Legal and Regulatory Reform Expert for the anticipated USAID-funded Liberia Economic Policy Dialogue Activity (LEPDA), based in Monrovia, Liberia. The project aims to strengthen policy-making capacity within the Government of Liberia (GOL) and facilitate the design and implementation of specific reforms to promote private sector-led, broad-based economic growth and development. This is a four-year project, with an estimated value of $10-16.8 million, anticipated to start in late 2019. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide.
LEPDA will both seek to work on key issues affecting the business climate and the establishment/strengthening of capacities within the government. It will focus on promoting reforms to reduce transaction costs and corruption, improve trade facilitation, increase liquidity in the rural sector and promote exports in value-added products. This activity is expected to work on policies centered on port improvements, establishment of viable special economic zones, streamlining of concession processes, and technical capacity-building within the government to undertake policy analysis, design, and implementation.
The Legal and Regulatory Reform Expert will serve as the Chief Legal Advisor for this activity.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- He/she will provide legal support/advice to the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, and all of the activity’s professionals in executing their respective duties
- Provide expert guidance on achieving the results of the activity, and lead the effort if a specific task requires a lawyer with more specialized expertise
- Perform the central role in engaging and tasking the relevant experts
- Analyze existing legislation and regulations related to LEPDA and make recommendations for their reform
- Analyze policy recommendations and assist relevant Government of Liberia entities with translating them into draft legislation and regulations
- Maintain relationships with key government stakeholders and local institutions
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites:
- At a minimum a Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- At least 12 years’ legal experience working in the area of policy development and the drafting of laws and regulations, preferably in the field in an international development project
- Experience in developing and mentoring local lawyers and technical staff
- Experience in assisting officials with the implementation of laws and regulations in a developing country context
- Experience with economic policy
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to productively interact with a wide range and levels of organizations (government, private sector, NGOs, implementing partners and other donors)
- Professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English
- Long-term professional experience in Liberia
- Liberian nationals strongly encouraged to apply
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com