The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Advisor for the upcoming USAID Liberia Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) project. The MEL Advisor will lead the design and finalization of the HSS monitoring, evaluation, and learning plan and the subsequent monitoring of program results. Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
The position will be based in Monrovia. Position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop processes, procedures and systems for data collection, analysis, and reporting on project results.
- Develop a learning agenda which guides project team efforts to use monitoring data and research findings to inform evidence-based program design and implementation.
- Develop a research plan that outlines needed formative research to inform program implementation and design; identify new research needs and/or pilot new approaches, when needed.
- Collect all data needed to report on all defined indicators (impact, output, outcome and program management indicators).
- Regular review and adjustment of data collection processes as needed.
- Implement data quality assessment (DQAs) as required or specified in the MEL plan.
- Facilite staff participation in review of the project learning agendas on a quarterly basis.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for research and data analysis needs for the project team; Synthesize research, monitoring and evaluation findings needed for quarterly and annual reports for USAID/Liberia.
- Develop SOWs and contribute to the procurement process for hiring data collection consultants and/or research firms needed to carry out M&E tasks or research studies; provide day-to-day supervision of any research firms or data collection consultants hired to assist with M&E tasks.
- Use appropriate sampling and methodological techniques to design research studies and analyze MEL data.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Masters degree in Public Health, Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E), Demography, Statistics, Economics, or a related field.
- At least 8 years of professional experience working with and managing M&E/MEL for international development programs; USAID experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems for project learning and results reporting.
- Experience conducting monitoring, evaluation and research tasks for HSS-related activities.
- Experience in conducting qualitative and quantitative research, with demonstrated experience managing data collection teams.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written English skills for writing M&E/MEL reports and deliverables for USAID and project stakeholders strongly preferred.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, GA; Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL; Durham, NC; New York, NY; and Rockville, MD and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com