Abt Associates, a global leader in technical assistance, program implementation and international development, seeks qualified individuals to fulfill the position of Renewable Energy Investment Advisor for the USAID Clean Power Asia program, reporting to the Task 3 (Investment Mobilization) Lead. The purpose of USAID Clean Power Asia is to accelerate the regional transition to a high performing, low carbon power sector. The Activity assist the governments of the Lower Mekong and other developing countries in Asia in energy planning and promotes an effective policy, regulatory, and technical environment for low-emissions growth in the power sector, while simultaneously attracting public- and private-sector investment in Renewable Energy (RE) development. USAID Clean Power Asia is focused on solar, wind, small hydro (<15 MW), and biomass residues.
The program focuses on the four Lower Mekong countries of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Vietnam, but may expand to Indonesia and the Philippines on a limited and strategic basis. It also implements activities on the ASEAN regional level.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Renewable Energy Investment Advisor will work in close coordination with the project team, under the direct supervision and guidance of the Task 3 Team Leader (Task 3 – Investment Mobilization), to:
- Develop and nurture relationships with key players in RE market, including other donors, government counterparts, private sector actors and others in the region who share the program’s goals.
- Provide advisory services, technical assistance and capacity building to key players in the RE market, including but not limited to project developers, investors, financial institutions and equity investment vehicles - with the main objective to increase their renewable energy portfolio, endorse diverse project financing mechanisms for RE projects, and build their capacity to conduct proper assessments of RE projects/programs.
- Support financial institutions, developers, or other relevant stakeholders to develop and secure finance for financing mechanisms/business models for promoting grid-connected renewable energy projects.
- Support banks, financial institutions, and investors to convene standardization for securitization process for financing grid-connected renewable energy projects/programs.
The Renewable Energy Investment Advisor works under the direct supervision of the Task 3 Team Leader. Overall, the Investment Advisor will support work in the Mekong countries, and broader ASEAN, related to investment mobilization from public and private sector into RE. American firms with operations in ASEAN as well as other multi-national and national businesses are a priority group with whom the program wishes to engage. Candidates with proven networks and contacts that will provide an entre for the program to promote Investment in RE among these entities will be viewed quite favorably. Specific responsibilities of the RE Investment Advisor include, but are not limited to:
- Assess and promote scalable & replicable business model(s) and financing option(s) for various forms of RE.
- Identify champions/leaders (both firms and individuals) in related areas in the private sector and key entry points for engagement with them.
- Develop an Engagement Plan for identified private sector actors in cooperation with the Task 3 Lead, DCOP, and consultants and provide specific inputs into the project portfolio where opportunities for private sector engagement exists.
- Develop relationships with key – multi-national and national private sector businesses who are or may be considering investing in an RE project either as an outside investor, developer, or for self-consumption (and possibly re-sale back to the grid/utility where regulation allows).
- Provide advisory services and technical assistance to key players in RE market.
- Identify key actors in the private sector such as institutions including the Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry, public private partnerships, private companies, international financial institutions, regional institutions, and others.
- Organize and facilitate meetings, roundtables, presentations and other fora wherein the program promotes the benefits of RE to private sector entities, introducing them to tools and resources available, and managing the relationship with these “clients” who will benefit from program interventions.
- Other duties to be determined in conjunction with the COP and USAID.
- Participate in developing and monitoring implementation of the annual work plan.
- Support to manage consultants and subcontractors as assigned, including drafting scopes of work, participating in selection and reviewing deliverables and work products.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in project finance/structured finance in one or more of the Lower Mekong countries in which USAID Clean Power Asia is focused (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao PDR) and/or in ASEAN.
- Progressive experience working on donor-funded – preferably USAID-funded — energy and/or economic growth projects in the ASEAN region.
- Proven ability to manage logistical aspects of donor-funded project activities with multiple actors including energy ministries, regulators, universities, domestic banks, equity firms, and utility and planning agencies across the ASEAN region.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in finance/business administration or a relevant discipline is required.
- Applicants must bring native-level proficiency in one or more of the following languages: Lao, Khmer, Vietnamese, Thai.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Excellent network of contacts in relevant RE investment/finance sectors in Thailand, Lao PDR, Vietnam and Cambodia.
- A proven track-record of successfully bringing projects from idea/concept to implementation.
- Demonstrated success utilizing non-traditional forms of finance to promote project development and realization, such as Green Bonds or Crowdfunding.
- Additional fluency in one or more of the following languages: Vietnamese, Thai, Khmer, and/or Lao.
- Strong consulting, management and organization skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated and adaptable to learning and understanding new things.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks to meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environments.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with development agencies, non-governmental organizations, and relevant private sector players.
- Ability to produce quality work products with attention to detail.
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Interested candidates may express their interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org referencing “RE INVESTMENT” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is August 17, 2018. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
To be considered for the position, your emailed application MUST INCLUDE the following information (failure to provide this information will result in your application being removed from consideration):
- A written expression of interest summarizing your qualifications for the position. The expression of interest must address each of the required qualifications or your application may be considered incomplete.
- CV clearly indicating work/consulting history and either daily consulting rate or annual compensation for each consultancy/position, stated in currency of payment.
- Preference will be given to nationals of the Lower Mekong countries and those with immediate availability. No allowances, including relocation, will be offered to any candidate
- US Federal Form 1420 (EBD) https://www.usaid.gov/forms/aid-1420-17
- Proof of Education/Degree attained (transcript or diploma)
- Proof of annual salary or daily consulting rate as stated in the EBD (acceptable forms include employment agreement, pay stubs, employer verification letter).
Due to the volume of anticipated applicants, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled as warranted and may be conducted in person or via electronic means.
Abt Associates is doing business as Abt Associates Thailand, registered with the Thailand Department of Commerce. Abt Associates is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com