Tetra Tech ES, Inc based out of Arlington, VA is implementing the Scaling Up Renewable Energy (SURE) project under a contract with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). The objective of this project is to assist USAID partner countries to promote the installation of large-scale grid-connected VRE. Tetra Tech is supporting technical activities focused on strategic energy planning, grid integration, and competitive procurement, among others, to bring economic, reliable, clean energy to scale. In Indonesia, the project seeks to support the regional and national dispatch centers to pilot a VRE forecasting system, to ultimately develop a long-term forecasting solution.
Position summary & job purpose:
We are searching for a local technical specialist for short-term technical assistance in Indonesia. We are seeking an individual to work as a part of a team of experts supporting the PLN Regional Dispatch Center in South Sulawesi to remove barriers to the integration on variable renewable energy (VRE) on the national grid.
This position is based in Indonesia (preferably Makassar), on a part-time basis, for a duration of up to one year.
• Establish high-level contacts at the regional and national dispatch centers to help set the objectives of the project and develop a common work plan for the team
• Work with the regional and national dispatch centers to collect data about dispatch process, actual dispatches, grid model, generator capabilities, transmission capacities, load and other data
• Work with the regional and national dispatch centers to communicate and seek improvement ideas for a centralized renewable energy forecasting process designed by international experts
• Work with wind and solar plant owners to communicate the centralized renewable energy forecasting process and seek their cooperation in collecting near real-time generation and resource data
• Work with vendors of VRE forecasting services to assist with local data issues, delivery of VRE forecasts and to conduct the VRE forecasting pilot
• Work with the regional and national dispatch centers to finalize a VRE forecasting process and integration of VRE forecasting into dispatching
• Work with the regional and national dispatch centers to develop software requirements for faster dispatching and integration of VRE forecasting.
Essential KSA’s required (experience, skills, education, certification, etc.):
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, power systems, renewable energy, or related field required.
• At least 10 years of experience at the national or regional dispatch centers in Indonesia.
• Expertise in one or more of these areas: load forecasting, dispatching of generators, scheduling of generators, week-ahead and day-ahead planning of generation and load, week-ahead and day-ahead planning of power flow between regions and planning of balancing services.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Bahasa.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work with a multicultural team
Valued but not required KSA’s:
• Master’s degree preferred
• Experience working with donor and multilateral organizations and in the international development sector is preferred.
• Proven track record preparing reports and technical studies preferred.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. With more than 20,000 associates working together, Tetra Tech provides clear solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.