Requisition ID: req2155
Job Title: Temporary Writer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Part-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC’s Global Partnerships and Philanthropy (GPP) department is responsible for the global delivery of the International Rescue Committee’s private sector resources and plays an important strategic role in the creation of IRC’s brand, awareness and support for its advocacy goals.
The Creative Services & Brand Team is a part of the Marketing Unit and functions as an in-house ad agency for the entire IRC. It’s our mission to create best in class creative work and provide excellent client services to all of our key stakeholders. This includes, but is not limited to, digital assets of all kinds, email fundraising appeals, videos, print and digital ads, brochures and event collateral.
Job Overview / Summary:
The Creative Services and Brand team is looking for a strong writer with a background in nonprofit and marketing writing. He/she will help to develop the messaging for the IRC’s marketing campaigns and write and edit communications meant to engage, steward and cultivate IRC supporters. This person must be able to write and edit quickly as global emergencies happen without warning and we need to respond intelligently and in a voice that is uniquely IRC. The right person can create compelling and thought-provoking communications that inspire donors and prospects to give to the IRC. The person best suited for this role will also have their fingers on the pulse of world events.
1. Help to develop the messaging for marketing campaigns.
2. Write and edit short- and long-form copy, including fundraising email appeals, email cultivations, advocacy alerts, invitations, video scripts, thank you letters, program one-sheets, brochures and special event collateral, with a focus on digital formats.
3. Write and edit supporting copy for both digital and print formats, including website donation pages, acknowledgment letters, advertisements, and social media communications.
4. Participate in writing projects as assigned by the Senior Writer.
5. Produce communications that are compelling, informative, timely and true to the IRC’s messaging and brand.
6. Interview IRC beneficiaries and staff and compile profiles for research and fundraising purposes.
7. Stay up to date on IRC programs, as well as global events and trends impacting the humanitarian sector, the places we work and the lives of our beneficiaries.
Education: Minimum: College/university degree, including coursework in journalism, marketing, advertising, communications, international relations or other relevant discipline.
Work Experience: Minimum: Five to seven years of professional writing experience with a focus on digital marketing communications. Background in nonprofit fundraising writing strongly preferred. Writing samples required.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
* Experience in writing, editing and proofreading
* An understanding of digital advertising writing and writing for email appeals
* Strong interpersonal skills, collegial and collaborative, high energy
* Developed understanding of the appropriate ways of working and business standards required to create a high performing & accountable environment for creative colleagues
* Experience in creative problem solving in low resource organizations
Reports to: Senior Writer, Marketing
This role requires working at IRC Headquarters in New York at least 2 days a week and telecommuting for additional days. Applicants must have a home or alternate workspace they can effectively complete their work from during regularly scheduled hours.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.