We are looking for an innovative business professional to join us as our Training and Business Development Manager. The Manager will oversee all of our training programs, improve and build upon our curriculum, and provide advisory services to the entrepreneurs in our startup incubator and broader network. This is a critical role for the success of our team, organization, and, most particularly, our entrepreneurs.
As our Training and Business Development Manager, you will become a leading part of a growing social enterprise, and will have a huge hand in shaping both our organization and our entrepreneurs’ futures. We are a fun, hardworking, and fast-moving team searching for someone who is interested in learning, growing, and becoming part of the Five One Labs family. This will be a great opportunity to see the inner workings of Iraq’s first full-time startup incubator!
The successful candidate will support Five One Labs to:
- Manage all logistical and training aspects of the Startup Incubator and other Five One Labs training programs;
- Deliver weekly trainings to entrepreneurs throughout the Startup Incubator program (3 months long, twice a year) and through other workshops, bootcamps, and events;
- Provide one-on-one business advisory services to Five One Labs entrepreneurs, both in the incubator program and in other Five One programming;
- Manage the local training staff day-to-day, and work with them to develop their knowledge and skills;
- Together with Five One leadership, develop M&E processes, records, and program reports to ensure sustainability and improvement of the Five One Labs incubator program over time;
- Other tasks as required by our growing organization.
Additionally, based on the skills and interest of the applicant, the Manager may be asked to support strategic priorities of Five One Labs, including our growth strategy, revenue generation, and investor support.
The Five One Labs team is seeking candidates with the following profile:
Skills and Knowledge
- Graduate degree in business preferred; bachelor’s degree plus previous experience in entrepreneurship may substitute;
- 5+ years work experience in related fields, with an emphasis placed on prior training, teaching, or consulting experience;
- Deep familiarity with the following topics, particularly how they relate to startups: business fundamentals, including basic strategy, operations, financial modeling, market sizing and management; innovation; and leadership;
- Previous experience in coaching or mentoring individuals or small teams;
- Fluent in English; knowledge of Kurdish and/or Arabic a plus;
- Ability to design effective training programs, with the occasional creation of evergreen sessions;
- Previous management or entrepreneurship experience a plus.
- Team-oriented and enthusiastic about working with and supporting others;
- Willingness to listen, learn and engage with the local culture and entrepreneurial ecosystem, with particular sensitivity to working with vulnerable populations;
- Outgoing, positive, and interested in developing a strong community;
- Attention to detail, conscientious about accuracy and professional presentation at all times; desire for continuous improvement;
- Self-starter personality – able to initiate and lead projects or tasks with minimal supervision;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced work environment;
- Experience working and thriving in multicultural teams.
The position will be based in Sulaimani, Iraq, with travel to Erbil and Duhok.
About the Organization
Five One Labs is a start-up incubator for displaced and conflict-affected entrepreneurs launch scalable businesses in the Middle East, operating in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI). We aim to empower individuals to rebuild their lives and livelihoods to contribute to the economic growth of their communities.
Five One Labs creates flexible programs for early-stage and aspiring entrepreneurs that are focused on human-centered design, the core building blocks of business fundamentals, and leadership development. Our trainers are steeped in lean startup and design thinking methodology, and thus our trainings are hands-on, active, and highly practical for early-stage entrepreneurs.
Over the past year, we have reached over 1,000 aspiring entrepreneurs with our programming and support, launched a cohort of incredible startups, and awarded over $30,000 in seed funding to innovative businesses. We are currently expanding to our second city, Sulaimani, and building a new coworking and innovation space in which to run future programming.
For more information, please see https://fiveonelabs.org/.