Date: Jun 27, 2018
Location: Korea (KOR), KR
Company: Green Climate Fund
Grade: IS - 4
The Transport Specialist in the Division of Mitigation and Adaptation will be responsible for the entire gamut of analytical and operational support tasks related primarily to processing GCF funding proposals and concept notes towards qualified funding proposals for GCF senior management and Board consideration in the thematic area of intermediated finance through public financial institutions for mitigation and adaptation; as well as leading the full cycle of key GCF policies identification, formulation, development, review and approval processes in the relevant sectors. Experience in sustainable transport policy and technology and in developing and implementing sustainable transport projects and work experience in developing/transition country settings is required. Knowledge on project finance and planning will also be an asset.
Duties and responsibilities
- Technical, analytical and operational leadership and support in the thematic area of sustainable transport for the timely development, intake and processing of GCF concept notes and funding proposals to the necessary quality standards; as well as other policy and guideline documents including, inter alia, the Fund’s investment framework, operational guidelines, procedures and toolkits;
- Leadership in project and program pipeline development, including initial screening and review of project/ program funding proposals and concept notes, interactions with accredited entities in bilateral meetings, preparation of assessment findings, maintenance of the operations database, monitoring of implementation of the approved projects or programs;
- Background research, collecting and analyzing data, conducting specific research and analytical work, drafting written reports to high quality standards, engagement through email and phone calls with the accredited entities, consultants and external experts to the Fund; and oversight and coordination of the relevant documentation internal processing, until the point of publication;
- Provide organizational and substantive support for the Fund’s Board meetings and other events and meetings related to the functioning of the Fund. This may include assisting in the preparation of relevant documentation, taking meeting minutes, preparing summaries of discussions for the Report of the Meeting, and providing support for the drafting of decisions; and
- Additional tasks as assigned by the Deputy Director Mitigation DMA; or by extension the Director DMA.
Expected experience and qualifications*
- Masters’ degree or higher in sustainable transport, transport engineering, or related fields;
- A minimum of nine (9) of relevant work experience, including in the field;
- Experience in the sustainable transport sector and in developing and implementing sustainable transport projects in international / developing countries settings is required;
- Experience in climate finance or development finance is highly desirable;
- Familiarity with multilateral climate funds, project financing, and UNFCCC framework;
- Experience in developing project funding and policy documents, conducting research analysis and articulating findings and recommendations;
- Project management: lead on the integration of GCF policies and guidelines in the design, processing and implementation of concept notes, funding proposals and investment projects;
- Ability to articulate complex issues verbally and in writing in a concise manner in a complex institutional environment;
- Application of own complex specialist knowledge to support other colleagues and peers in day-to-day GCF operations and technical / process analysis in similar working environment;
- Proactively applies relevant international best practices to own work;
- Excellent business writing and presentation skills;
- Strong competence and autonomy in the use of standard software programs: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook;
- Work experience in a developing/transition country is highly desirable.
- Draws on own and other’s multi-country and multi-sector experience to identify viable course of action when conducting analyses;
- Highlights possible solutions for project issues based on relevant multi-country and/or multi-client experiences;
- Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes in a timely fashion; and
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of another United Nations language is an advantage.
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. The above criteria should be seen as indicators of the experience and skills that would qualify candidates for consideration. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references.
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
About the Organization
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions which reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since its establishment, the GCF has mobilized 10.3 billion USD, accredited 54 entities to channel its resources and approved 43 funding proposals. In addition, it has built up an extensive program to support developing countries identify their needs, in particular those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff make unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
We are looking to expand our team with more highly skilled and adaptable people who are driven by our mandate, people who appreciate challenges and know how to deliver and thrive in a fast moving, dynamic environment.