POSITION TITLE: Trauma Counseling Expert (international position)
LOCATION: Home-based with travel to Bangladesh
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party or designate
CONTRACT LENGTH: 3 months
PURPOSE: Curriculum modification and Training of Trainers in Trauma Counseling and Mental Health
The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded and Winrock International-implemented Bangladesh Counter Trafficking-In-Persons (BC/TIP) program aims to reduce the prevalence of human trafficking and child marriage in Bangladesh. BC/TIP implements activities in 20 trafficking-prone districts. BC/TIP provides robust interventions in all four of USAIDs Counter Trafficking-In-Persons areas of emphasis: Prevention, Protection, Prosecution and Partnership. The program also focuses on integrating these four Ps in dealing with child marriage issues. It works collaboratively to reduce the prevalence of human trafficking and child marriage in Bangladesh through the following approaches:
- Strengthen the capacity of communities to identify those at risk and trafficking victims and take action;
- Improve trafficking victims’ access to assistance;
- Increase the responsiveness of criminal justice actors to trafficking victims;
- Facilitate effective and coordinated partnerships among stakeholders to combat trafficking; and
- Increase responsiveness of duty bearers and justice actors on child marriage issues
In order to enhance the capacity of the service providers, the international consultant will orient them on the latest methods of trauma treatment and psychological services so that they can provide the victims/survivors with services. The expert will also develop evidence-based psychological therapies for caregivers, who will be working directly with those suffering the most extreme emotional pain, to help rebuild fulfilling lives.
The duration of the assignment will be 30 working days over a period of three months including the four trainings. The expected date for commencement of the assignment is October 15, 2019 and the anticipated end date is January 15, 2020.
The consultant must be available to travel to Dhaka with field visits to Cox’s Bazar, Jashore and Rangpur.
- Detailed workplan with date on how and when the consultant will carry out all assigned tasks.
- A brief gap analysis of psychosocial service provision and capacity assessment of service providers
- A final updated module for trauma counseling and mental health treatment, incorporating modern techniques of trauma counseling and/or mental health treatment appropriate for the local context.
- Draft guidelines for service providers
- Finalized tools for mental health assessment and support
- Evaluate trauma support effectiveness.
- Completed TOTs in four districts and a final report on ToTs.
Qualification and experience:
- Master’s Degree in clinical psychology, clinical social work, psychiatry, sociology, or related field
- At least 10 years’ experience in counseling victims of trafficking, torture and slavery or other vulnerable groups such as victims of child marriage and gender-based violence
- Demonstrated experience in capacity assessment, module development and training, particularly on trauma counseling and delivery and preferably in developing countries
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Fluency in English is required, with excellent writing skills
- Previous experience in Bangladesh or South Asia preferred
- Some knowledge of Bangla would be an asset
This position will be open until October 4, 2019. Your application must include a cover letter and C.V. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Women, people with disabilities and those belonging to discriminated groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
All employees should adhere to USAID and Winrock International’s code of ethics, and specifically child safeguarding and trafficking in persons provisions covered in the project agreement.
About the Organization
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.