Abt Associates seeks a U.S.-based Grants Operations Manager for the anticipated USAID-funded Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). ATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, D.C. area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, and Southern Africa, and later North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, Department of State, and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The U.S. Grants Operations Manager will support the ATIP project’s regional offices in Ghana, Kenya, and South Africa. Reporting to the ATIP DCOP, Operations and working closely with the Regional Grants Managers, the U.S. Grants Operations Manager will oversee the overall technical grants program, and will have primary responsibility for: financial and administrative management for the grants implemented for the project; supervision and oversight of the HQ grants staff; and coordination and collaboration with Abt’s headquarters Contracts & Procurement Department. S/he will establish the systems and procedures required to ensure compliance with USAID regulations and Abt policies and in accordance with ATIP strategies. Approximately 20% travel time internationally is estimated.
This position will be located in Rockville, MD and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops, in coordination with the Contracts & Procurement Department, the ATIP Grant Manual, and processes for grant finalization and approval, compliance issues, problem solving, and management issues.
- Oversees the implementation of the Activity’s technical grants program that supports the technical implementation of the program, working with the Regional Grants Managers, especially on large and complex grant actions.
- Working with Regional Grant Management staff, supports their application of the to-be-approved ATIP Grants Manual.
- Oversees the Regional Grants Managers’ activities to establish policies and procedures to engage with potential grantees needed to prepare and complete their cost and technical applications during the application process to ensure compliance with USAID and Abt financial rules and regulations as they navigate the solicitation requirements.
- Ensures regional offices’ implementation of the Activity’s Grants Manual and policies, following all associated Abt and USAID procurement procedures and processes; oversees regional subcontracts administration, compliance and implementation procedures, and ensures compliance with USAID procurement regulations and local laws.
- As outlined/prepared in the project’s Grants Manual, conducts review of threshold Grant solicitation and advertisements; works with regional staff to design and prepare review guidelines for evaluators, including scoring formats; procedures for convening subcontract review committee meetings; participates in negotiations with threshold applicants, prepares the negotiation memoranda and awards.
- Maintains and oversees the overall project grants tracking system to ensure the timely and correct execution of all grants and data tracking.
- Manages U.S.-based project-specific grants staff, including hiring, performance monitoring, management of timeliness and quality of work product, and takes appropriate steps to ensure work is conducted to rigorous standards.
- Provides ongoing support to regional team leads to ensure grants execution in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with the M&E team to obtain and contribute to required monitoring data and to support ongoing learning; ensures use of project-required reporting tools and instruments by grantees.
- Ensures a successful and compliant close-out of grant activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, or related field, and at least 10 years of experience managing USAID grants
- Progressively challenging work experience in grants and contract management; experience working on global or multi-country programs preferred
- Minimum 5 years in a management role
- Knowledge of USAID rules and procedures required
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly, and work independently
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently
- Excellent writing, analytical and organizational skills
- BA degree - ideally in public administration, business administration, international development or a related area, MA preferred. 13 – 15 yrs programmatic experience (at least 3 yrs of which must be) in the management of complex, large programs working in developing countries on USAID or international donor projects
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.