Abt Associates seeks a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director for the anticipated USAID-funded Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). ATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, D.C. area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, and Southern Africa, and later North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, State Department and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The U.S.-based MEL Director will serve as the overall MEL leader for the project through comprehensive technical support to country programs including work plan development, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reporting, indicator selection and development and learning. The MEL Director will be an integral part of the senior program management team and will oversee, coordinate, and collaborate with the regional ATIP offices in Africa so that ATIP’s MEL data collection, monitoring processes and reporting are rigorous, consistent, and organized. This position will be based in Abt’s Rockville, MD office with expected international travel up to 20% of the year.
The position will be based in Rockville, MD and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Direct the Project and Technical Directors in managing MEL activities and reporting for the project
- Guide and collaborate with regional office MEL Directors to develop MEL strategy for regional programs and global activities based on the ATIP results framework
- Develop the project’s MEL structure and systems to facilitate and ensure all project programs collect and report on impact, output, outcome and program management indicators. This includes standardized reporting, performance monitoring, and evaluation for the project, and integrating performance data into program management and adaption plans
- Lead the operation of the project’s MEL systems including preparation of internal and external MEL reports
- Provide oversight for the collection of and reporting on impact, output, outcome and program management indicators by the regional teams
- Regularly review data collection processes, perform data quality assessments, and make adjustments as needed
- Lead development of the project’s global learning agenda and strategy in collaboration with USAID clients, regional managers, and technical leads
- Analyze project M&E data across all regions for benchmarking and to identify trends and outliers
- Guide the development and distribution of meaningful strategic communication/advocacy tools and products, drawing from M&E data
- Participate in strategic planning and work planning meetings
- Manage U.S.-based MEL team
- Work with regional MEL Directors to ensure their programs are compliant with project directives and to help troubleshoot issues
- PhD in Economics, Statistics, Research Methods or related field and at least 10 years of experience in the development and implementation of M&E systems and processes for complex international development programs or a Master’s and at least 15 years of relevant experience
- At least 5 years of experience working on M&E methods for trade and investment projects
- Proven capacity to communicate M&E data in accessible and engaging ways – experience in innovative visualization of results highly preferred
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in data utilization strategies and ability to identify innovative data sharing techniques
- Solid analytical skills and ability to use MS Office, SPSS/STATA, qualitative analysis packages, and MS Excel
- Proven written and oral presentation skills in English
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues from a diverse set of partners in both public and private sectors
- Experience managing MEL for USAID programs required; experience managing global programs highly preferred
- MA/MBA (15+) years of experience OR PhD (10 - 15) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.