Abt Associates seeks qualified candidates for the position of U.S. Strategic Partnerships Director. This position is located in the U.S. for the anticipated USAID-funded Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). ATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. ATIP will work closely with U.S. partners and U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, D.C. area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, and Southern Africa, and later North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, State Department and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The U.S. Strategic Partnerships Director will lead ATIP activities to coordinate and work with networks of stakeholders and clients, including the private sector, U.S. and host government personnel and entities, civil society, other projects, and other related entities. This position is estimated to require approximately 25% travel internationally and domestically.
Position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the strategy and implementation of partnerships and coordination of efforts among entities working in this field in the U.S. and Africa. This includes US Government entities such as USAID, the Department of Commerce, U.S. Trade Representative (USTR), U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (DFC), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), U.S. Chambers of Commerce, the Corporate Council on Africa, African diaspora entities, business trade associations, and other stakeholders grounded in the U.S.
- Coordinate and provide strategic guidance to the Regional Partnership staff in Africa, coordinating strategies and activities that enhance communication between relevant partners for productive project outcomes;
- Manage the region’s partnership and coordination staff;
- Collaborate with stakeholders including public and private stakehoders and with the Directors of Trade and Investment to coordinate efforts, reduce redundancy and leverage other programs; develop new relationships that can lead to productive support to the private sector;
- Work with the regional team’s specialists to develop and manage convening of stakeholders activities needed to address specific opportunities and/or impediments;
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with stakeholders and partners.
- Manage and report on partnership activities as required to meet USAID program requirements.
- MBA or Master’s degree in business and/or trade law, economics, or similar field
- At least 13 years of professional experience working in private sector development, including experience with sectors such as manufacturing, renewable energy, agriculture, health, technology, ICT, services.
- Proven success meeting or exceeding annual funding/investment targets for private and public-private sector partnership
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders, including public and private entities and officials
- Relevant work experience in Africa
- At least 5 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role and collaborating with remote teams
- Fluent in English; proficiency in French and/or Arabic is a plus
- MA/MBA (13 – 15) years of experience OR PhD (8 – 10) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.