In adapting to the growing complexity of the 21st century, the United Nations need to respond dynamically to ensure it remains instrumental in supporting the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and targets for the 2030 agenda. Technological innovation and the role of partnerships across sectors have become increasingly important to accelerate progress in addressing the problems that humanity faces.
In close partnership with the Government of Finland, the UN is establishing and operationalizing the United Nations Technology Innovation Lab (UNTIL) located in Espoo, Finland.
The priority focus of the UNTIL Finland Lab will be establishing partnerships with UN Funds and Programmes as well as Governments, Academia, NGOs and private sector leveraging technology to address SDGs challenges in the areas of Education, Health, Circular Economy and Peace and Mediation.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects in the United Nations Secretariat (United Nations Technology Innovation Lab – UNTIL Finland) Global Services Division (GSD) of OICT. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Within delegated authority, and in close cooperation with the global UNTIL team and under guidance of the UNTIL Finland Lab Manager and the Communication and Partnerships Officer, the Communication and Partnerships Analyst will be responsible for the following duties:
Impact of results :
- Assist in establishing and overseeing the implementation of a partnerships, communication and outreach strategy for UNTIL Finland.
- Provide support in developing and ensuring implementation of information programmes to publicize priority issues, major events, programme initiatives and accomplishments, and major activities of UNTIL Finland; assist in drafting information strategies, monitor and report on progress, take appropriate follow-up action, and analyse outcomes; participate in selecting the information transmitted to key constituencies.
- Help with the monitoring and analyzing current events, public opinion, press coverage, and information needs of the Parties and key stakeholders; identify issues and trends and advise management on appropriate responses.
- Participate in promoting and coordinating media coverage (e.g. press conferences, interviews, press seminars, and special events) of priority issues and major events; assist in developing a media strategy and action plan, assist in initiating pro-active media outreach.
- Assist in proposing, arranging and participating in press conferences/media coverage, disseminating materials and consulting with press on approach/story angle and other information requests, undertaking appropriate follow-up action and analyzing and reporting on the impact of coverage.
- Assist in producing or overseeing the production of information communications products (e.g. press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, radio spot program, social media etc.); propose topics, undertake research, determine appropriate target audience, prepare production plans, write drafts, edits copy, and coordinate design approval, printing procedures and distribution.
- Prepare, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initial drafts of articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books.
- Use the full range of communications approaches, tools, and methodologies essential to assist in the planning and executing effective campaign strategies and programmes, e.g. campaign management, media operations, marketing and promotion, audience outreach, message targeting.
- Use diplomacy to handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships.
- Produce a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style. Assist in delivering oral presentations to various audiences.
- Assist in developing and maintaining information architecture of the UNTIL Finland websites and UNTIL social media presence; coordinate and exercise quality control over website and social media content; follow up with and advise content managers to ensure information is up-to-date and adhere to standards for style, clarity, and coherency of content; create standard formats and templates for web sections and web pages.
- Assist in planning and coordinating exhibitions and side events during the meetings of the UNTIL Finland Advisory Board and Thematic Advisory Groups.
- Assist in the planning and preparation of the budget, work programme and spending plan for the partnerships and communication program of the lab.
UNTIL work is appropriately communicated to various audiences leading to exposure to UNTIL results.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, public relations, environmental sciences, international relations, business or public administration or related field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of one year of progressively responsible experience in any of the following areas: public information, communication, outreach, journalism or related area.
- A minimum of one year experience in implementing programmes with local and global scope within an international organization is an advantage.
- A minimum of one year experience in establishing and implementing partnerships and communication strategies in the areas of education, health, circular economy or peace and mediation is an advantage.
- Experience in establishing and directly overviewing partnerships for the Sustainable Development Goals is desirable.
Contract Type, Level and Duration
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of another official UN is considered an asset
Contract type: STAFF;
Contract level: P1;
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is 29 March 2019 midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
About the Organization
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information: Sustainable Development Cluster(SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.