We are currently seeking Urban and Business Development Specialist to be based in SMEC’s regional office in Nairobi, Kenya. This specialist’s role is:’
- To seek, identify and follow-up on new opportunity (e.g. urban property development) leads in both private and public sector
- To liaise with potential partners and collaborators in pursuit of project opportunities.
- To prepare Expressions of Interest and Prequalification documents for project opportunities.
- To prepare Technical and Financial Proposals for public and private sector project opportunities
- To provide technical and project management support to urban development projects.
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The Urban and Business Development Specialist who will report to the Functional Manager, will be responsible for the overall activities for Urban Development, Business Development, Affordable Housing Development, Urban Planning, Urban Infrastructure Development.
- Business development support for pursuing large scale housing program opportunities
- Housing investment plan assessments and input in housing market and supply chain research studies.
- Review feasibility reports and make business development recommendations based on findings
- Recommendations to improve policies, procedures and practices.
- Liaise with relevant agencies and organizations regarding joint bids for opportunities.
- Interface with subconsultants, subcontractors and other collaborators to accomplish and prepare submissions.
- Review consultant reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Attend meetings with prospective Clients, contractors, financers, government officials, and other stakeholders.
Key Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- An advanced degree (Master’s Degree Level or higher) in a discipline pertinent to urban development sector such as Architecture, Building Science, Civil/Structural or Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Quantity Surveying, or Project Management.
- Professional Certification in Project Management (e.g. PMP) and/or Public Private Partnership (e.g. APMG PPP) is a plus.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in urban development sector.
- Track record in Kenya property development market/sector.
- Experience in Urban Infrastructure and Property Development Sector, including experience in Housing Development Projects.
- Good understanding of local economic, cultural and political environment in East Africa (especially Kenya).
- Understanding of East Africa (especially Kenya) housing market and housing development practices
- Thorough knowledge of the legal and policy framework for land development and building construction in East Africa (especially Kenya)
- Ability to review and analyze technical and financial feasibility study reports
- Able to travel locally and internationally
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat, and familiarity with AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, and ArcGIS.
- Strong business development skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong research and report writing skills
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to analyze and explain policies, laws and guidelines for housing and construction sector
- Ability to deliver effective presentations
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Strong English language speaking and writing ability. Swahili language skills is a plus.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the “Apply Now” link below and follow the prompts.
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.
About the Organization
- Flexible and friendly working environment
- Excellent opportunity to become a valued member of SMEC's multidisciplinary team
- Outstanding career prospects
SMEC is a professional services firm with Australian origins and a global footprint that provides high-quality consultancy services for major infrastructure projects.
SMEC is ranked among the world's top infrastructure design firms and continues to win industry awards for technical excellence, design innovation and the management of environmental and social risks.
The SMEC Profile:
- It is our culture to celebrate diversity, employ great people and work on interesting projects
- We are a private company, wholly owned by our people
- We have an established network of over 70 permanent offices around the world and over 5,000 employees
- We offer our people opportunities to work, both in Australia and internationally, in the areas of: Transport; Water; Geotechnics and Tunnels; Environment; Urban Development; Hydropower and Energy; Social Development; Government and Advisory Services; and Mining, Oil and Gas.