- SOW Title: Public Investment Management Consultant
- STTA Purpose: Assess KRG Ministries’ Public Investment Management; develop needed guidelines, mechanisms, rules and regulations; and provide technical support and needed trainings to enhance Ministries’ performance regarding Public Investment Management implementation
- LOE: 120 working days with a possibility for extension based on program needs
- Job Classification: International Expatriate STTA based in Erbil
- Location: Erbil, Iraq
- Estimated Start Date: On/or about 1 October 2019
The purpose of the Iraq Governance Performance and Accountability (IGPA/Takamul) project is to advance effective, accountable, and transparent governance in Iraq. This USAID effort, implemented by DAI, will work with the Government of Iraq (GOI) at all levels to better respond to citizen needs by supporting reform initiatives and Iraqi change agents on inclusive governance and public-sector transparency, accountability, and economy. “Reform initiatives” includes support to improve service delivery functions, public financial management, and open government initiatives. IGPA/Takamul will support the GOI and the citizens of Iraq in forming partnerships and collaborative efforts to solve problems jointly. IGPA/Takamul has four (4) objectives:
1. Enhance GOI service delivery capacity
2. Improve public financial management (PFM)
3. Strengthen monitoring and oversight of service delivery and public expenditure
4. Support Iraqi change agents (cross-cutting objective)
The Public Investment Management Consultant will work closely under objective 2: improving PFM in the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG).
Public investment relates to government spending on the creation or improvement of physical assets, including both economic infrastructure (such as airports, roads, railways, water and sewerage systems, electricity utilities and telecommunications) and social infrastructure (such as schools, hospitals and prisons) which can generate positive returns for the state and beneficiaries.
Public resources management is important and requires effective public investment management guidance for using state resources efficiently to address basic services for citizens through implementing investment projects Increasing importance has been place on Public Investment Management (PIM) in the implementation of quality investment projects to improve the KRG’s ability to provide better services. The KRG Ministry of Planning (MOP) is responsible for implementing service projects in the Kurdistan region. However, the lack of actual public investment management guidance from the MOP for the line ministries has affected the processes of service projects implementation negatively.
The KRG MOP has approached IGPA/Takamul to provide the needed technical support to MOP and line ministries to establish public investment mechanisms and procedures based on international best practices. IGPA/Takamul will closely work to support the KRG MOP and line ministries to enhance its staff performance through providing PIM expert to identify the pain points within the targeted institutions and show the actual needs with launching am impactful activities.
The main objectives of the Public Investment Management Consultant scope of work are to:
- Assess the current situation of the Kurdistan Public Investment Management in the MoP and line ministries
- Develop needed Public Investment Management guidelines, mechanisms, manuals, rules and regulations for the MoP and line ministries to implement
- Provide technical support to the MoP and line ministries regarding Public Investment Management
- Provide needed trainings to enhance the performance of MoP and line ministries regarding Public Investment Management implementation
II. Specific Tasks of the Consultant
Under this Scope of Work, the Consultant shall contribute to performing, but not be limited to, the specific tasks specified under the following categories:
Task 1: Conduct situational assessment for the current procedures of public investment management and show the needs for training, guidelines, manuals and department structuring. [the situational assessment will help PIM consultant to get the full pictures about the needs of the PIM procedures through conducting a thorough working on the executive, legislatures and oversight entities in the government to study the current processes.
Task 2: Conduct and facilitate a workshop for the KRG ministry of planning and line ministries to share assessment results and recommendations. [The workshop will give the governmental officials to participate in building a better decision regarding the development of the PIM procedures and give their insight about the assessment results]. For all formal workshops and trainings, consultant must ensure that sign-in sheet, photos, agenda and all training materials are provided to IGPA/Takamul for purposes of contractual compliance.
Task 3: Develop the needed PIM, mechanisms, manuals, rules and regulations. This activity will help governmental officials to work based on a specific reference that they needed whenever they face ambiguities while conducting PIM activities.
Task 4: Provide governmental staff with needed trainings and technical assistance on new PIM mechanism implementation.
Learning by doing is a core method in development. Thorough this activity, the PIM consultant will support the government officials in performing the PIM projects functions more effectively and efficiently. For all formal workshops and trainings, consultant must ensure that sign-in sheet, photos, agenda and all training materials are provided to IGPA/Takamul for purposes of contractual compliance.
Task 5: Provide weekly report and success stories in line with IGPA/Takamul guidance. Through this activity, the consultant will work on providing weekly reports to the IGPA staff for the sake of update. Success stories provision is one of the core tasks for the PIM to show the development of the activities and task objectives.
III . Required Qualification
- Master’s degree in public projects planning and/or management, PhD is preferable.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in practicing and advising governments on public services projects activities.
- Excellent communication and partnership building skills with multi-dimension partners.
- Proven strong analytical and written presentation skills in English.
- Contributes to the development of audit processes improvements
- Work collaboratively within the team and assist in execution of audits related to Finance, in accordance with audit methodology and professional standards
- Applies knowledge of key regulations to influence audit scope
- Pro-actively develops automated routines to help focus audit testing
- Provides coaching to team members in all phases of the audit process
- Responsible for quality assurance review of assigned trainings.
- Ability to provide on the job training for governmental staff.
- Ability to provide training for governmental staff out of their offices.
IV. General Statement
The PIM Consultant work will be conducted primarily in the IGPA project office in Erbil with the possibility of traveling to provinces to interview KRG ministries for legal analysis. Under this SoW, IGPA/Takamul project will be responsible to cover all other indirect implementation costs including: Air and ground transportation, lodging, Per-diem, and phone communications.