The Pan American Development Foundation (PADF) is seeking a consultant with expertise in development finance (required) and impact investments (preferred) to support the development of its strategy vis-a-vis the BUILD Act and the creation of the new U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (USIDFC).
Context: PADF has extensive engagement with donors such as USAID, World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, local private sector partners (chambers of commerce, banks, microfinance institutions) and government institutions. We seek to refine our strategic approach to in accordance with the newly created USIDFC. We believe this may be especially relevant to our work in education, employability, entrepreneurship, and the environment.
Why: The purpose of this consultancy is to:
a) Provide a focused and customized briefing to PADF around the opportunities created by the BUILD Act, including its proposed organizational structure and thematic and regional focus. This will include anticipated changes in the operational outlook and rules of previously existing entities (e.g., OPIC, ExIm Bank, DCA), new organizational structure, key personnel, etc.
b) Create a roadmap of the key actors related to the BUILD Act and their priorities to deploy development finance in the Americas.
c) Provide insight to and details on available financing instruments and portfolio strategy (sectors, country/region, gaps and solutions). This should include case studies of non-profits or mission-drive organizations that have been successful in this space.
Who: We want to hear from you if:
- You have worked in or with U.S. government development finance institutions (particularly OPIC); if you also have experience in impact investment funds, venture capital, or transaction advisory firms, that is a plus.
- You have knowledge of equity, debt, and blended finance instruments for social and economic development.
- You have demonstrated expertise in emerging or frontier markets, and how market-based instruments can also support public goods.
How: We expect the consultancy to be completed by a combination of desk research, in person meetings, and, if needed, attendance at key events (panel discussions, conferences) in Washington D.C.
What: The consultant will provide two outputs
- Learning: a report covering all learnings about the structure and purpose of the USIDFC including key contacts for the Americas. This will be accompanied by a detailed in-person briefing and Q&A, and will include all items in a), b), and c) above.
- Strategy: a recommendation about thematic areas, geographies, investment vehicles, and approaches based on PADF’s programming and country footprint.
When: Starting immediately. But if you are the perfect candidate we may be able to accommodate!
To be determined based on the results of Phase I.
About the Organization
The Pan American Development Foundation (PADF) seeks to create a just, peaceful, and prosperous hemisphere where every person has the opportunity to thrive. PADF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established by the Organization of American States (OAS) in 1962. We partner with and enable civil society, governments, and the private sector for the greater good of the region. In 2018, we served over four million people in the region through our programs.