Tetra Tech International Development Services is seeking for an Electric Utility Engineer for the implementation of international projects, which aim to reform/ restructure electric utility companies and improve their operational performance to make them self-sufficient and sustainable. The projects also evaluate and recommend needed investments in energy infrastructure to: (i) enhance energy security and support energy sector reform; (II) improve utility management (iii) Improve energy efficiency and environmental resource management; (III) enhance energy planning and electricity markets and trade, (IV) implement renewable and alternative energy sources (v) provide access to reliable and affordable energy; (vi) improve regulation and governance in the energy sector; (vii) demonstrate the use of innovative and more efficient technologies and business models. Position could be based out of our Arlington, VA office, however, there is flexibility in work office location
The successful candidate will work as part of Tetra Tech’s team of energy experts providing technical support and assisting governments and regulators, and companies and organizations around the world in making the transition to a well performing and self-sufficient energy sector.
- Carry out and lead activities in planning, design, development, and implementation of electric utility related projects in developing countries, focused on power generation, transmission, or distribution.
- Carry out and lead the development of resource assessments, utility management and operation due-diligence, utility performance assessment, feasibility studies, technology evaluations, market assessments, policy evaluations, and economic analyses in electricity sector.
- Direct the development of capacity building efforts through training and workshops.
- Document and report on project activities, prepare position papers and technical review documents to assist in sharing project successes and lessons learned.
- Interact directly with clients; work independently on complex assignment projects; and lead projects and teams.
- Identify new clients and business opportunities, prepare proposals, take a lead role in project implementation, and manage client relationships.
- Provide support in sales, marketing and business development.
- Prepare thought leadership papers, project results, and other papers, and possibly participate as conference presenter.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience in the electricity sector, especially in utility management positions, operation, and maintenance.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Power Systems or Electrical Engineering (curriculum covering Power Systems Operations, Planning and Reliability, Power Generation and Transmission and Distribution Engineering).
- Experience in the implementation of power generation, transmission, or distribution technologies.
- Experience in implementing improvements in utility operations, including electricity loss reduction strategies, outages reduction, network quality improvements, etc.
- Understanding of power systems analysis and modeling.
- Knowledge of electricity markets and its operation.
- Knowledge of electricity regulatory environment.
- Experience in leading or managing projects.
- Experience in competitive procurement.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve problems, including the ability to identify opportunities to improve systems and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately prepare feasibility studies and reports, including Annual Work Plans, Annual Reports, Technical Reports, Budgets, and reports on indicators.
- Experience working with a diverse set of clients (e.g., public, private).
- Experience working with sub-contractors and leading small to medium size teams.
- Comfortable engaging with diverse people, managing complex situations and building consensus.
- Experience preparing reports and technical studies for clients.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English at level 5 of fluency.
- Proficient with MS Office package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Advanced degree in Power System Engineering
- Experience in grid integration of renewable energy generation
- Experience in Power System Stability and Control and Energy /Management Systems
- Experience in least cost planning
- Experience in developing technical documents, e.g. transmission grid code including grid access policies, standard connection agreement, technical standards for substations, commissioning protocol for renewable energy projects.
- International advisory experience in developing countries.
- Experience as head of a department and managing employees.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to interact effectively with people of diverse cultures.
- Working with sub-contractors and leading small to medium size teams.
- Require extensive international travel to interact with clients, and conduct due-diligence and site assessment.
- Due to required field work for this position, physical ability such as walking long distance, hiking through challenging terrain to reach transmission lines or climb stairs around power plant boilers is essential.
About the Organization
Tetra Tech Inc. is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—16,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams.
Tetra Tech ES, Inc., a subsidiary of Tetra Tech, is a leading provider of energy services working worldwide for development agencies, governments, multilateral banks, and multinational corporations. We provide technical solutions for the world's most complex energy challenges including energy policy and regulatory advisory services, utility reform, financial advisory services, clean energy deployment, and connectivity solutions.