Value Chain Manager (Maputo, Mozambique)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
In partnership with DAI, TechnoServe manages the recently awarded Feed the Future INOVA program, a $21 million, five-year USAID project aimed at increasing equitable growth of the Mozambican agricultural sector, by increasing agricultural productivity and expanding agricultural markets and trade in the Nampula, Zambezia, Manica, Cabo Delgado, Niassa and Tete regions of Mozambique. A market systems development approach is core to the implementation of this program.
The Value Chain Manager (VCM) is supporting the Chief of Party (COP) with the technical lead for the implementation of the program. The VCM oversees and supports a team of Portfolio Managers (PMs), each leading a set of partnerships in specific areas of the market system. In agreement with the COP, the VCM supports the PMs with developing the strategic vision for the market system changes that they aim to achieve, and leads them to sign up and execute the Deal Notes that define the partnerships between the project and relevant market actors. The VCM also supervises a number of short-term consultants and Volunteer Consultants as needed for implementation.
As Value Chain Manager you will:
- Support the Chief of Party to lead the technical direction for project, defining the vision for the market system, and developing and implementing innovative approaches to lead change.
- Manage a team of 4 value chain specialists in three offices, Maputo, Nampula and Chimoio, by strengthening their capacity to be facilitators of market changes.
- Identify, design and oversee the implementation of partnerships with project’s partners (private sector, government, NGOs).
- Lead on the development of intervention concept notes.
- Lead on defining, drafting and agreeing Deal Notes with intervention partners, including due diligence.
- Lead on the preparation of field inputs to the quarterly and annual reports as required by the program.
- Contribute to establishing a team culture grounded on collaboration, openness, and learning.
- Contribute to the design and adoption of a workflow and information management system that is suitable to adaptive management.
You will have:
- Master’s degree in an agriculture, economics or a business related field.
- At least five years of experience as the technical manager for donor-funded value chain, Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) and/or Market Systems Development projects.
- Demonstrated success using facilitation in at least one of the following: the USAID value chain approach, M4P, or Market Systems Development approach, which led to greater competitiveness and inclusiveness in markets.
- Demonstrated experience with conducting value chain analysis and developing value chain work plans preferred.
- Fluency in English required, fluency in Portuguese preferred.
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Click “Apply Now” to complete a short application and upload your resume and cover letter on or before June 30, 2018. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.