Title: Value Chain Specialist (International)
Project: TOMAK – To’os Ba Moris Di’ak / Farming for Prosperity
Duration: Approximately 30 months (to 31 May 2021), with possibility of extension
ARF Rate: B3
Location: Dili, Timor-Leste with regular field travel
Reports to: TOMAK Team Leader
Manages: National Value Chain Specialist; Short-Term Advisers; Sub-contracted organisations
 Subject to approval of a second Phase by DFAT.
The Value Chain Specialist has overall responsibility for the design and implementation of Component 1 activities, involving the assessment, selection and development of target value chains (VC) and associated market systems applying M4P methodologies.
In this capacity the position is responsible for managing a significant portfolio of market systems development programming, in support of the livelihoods development and market linkage goals of TOMAK. This involves managing a range of public and private sector partnerships.
The position is an integral part of TOMAK’s senior implementation team, providing leadership in the development of VC/ M4P interventions, working in close coordination with TOMAK’s Nutrition, Gender and Communication Specialists.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead assessments in target communities to identify socio-economic status, key livelihood systems, and target VCs with the best potential to deliver improved economic outcomes.
- Applying M4P approaches, identify key constraints and strategies for developing target VCs.
- Develop and manage implementation relationships with local partners, including private sector businesses, MAF, IADE and others.
- Provide ongoing technical advice and inputs to research and analytical processes to support development of selected VCs and market systems.
- Identify the need for, recruit and manage additional short-term technical assistance as required.
- Incorporate the promotion of gender equality and women’s economic empowerment as an integral part of development activities.
- Manage the implementation of all Component 1 activities, including taking the lead on planning and progress reporting.
- Support the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation frameworks for Component 1 activities.
- Provide input to to TOMAK’s communications and public diplomacy activities as required.
- Train and mentor National program staff, particularly the National Value Chain Specialist, in the development and implementation of value chain interventions.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Post-graduate qualifications in agriculture, agricultural economics, rural development or similar.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in agricultural/ market systems development in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Applied knowledge and strong understanding of M4P approaches.
- Demonstrated experience working with remote subsistence-oriented rural communities.
- Demonstrated capacity to work collegially with government, private sector and other partner organisations and effectively manage partner relationships.
- Experience in capacity building, including training and on-the-job mentoring of national staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equality principles.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in English, spoken and written.
- Experience in Timor-Leste or Eastern Indonesia.
- Tetum or Portuguese language ability.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Delivery of results under Component 1 as agreed in the M&E Plan.
- Strong annual performance assessments.
How to Apply:
Please submit a CV (no more than 2 pages), alongside a short cover letter with ‘ Value Chain Specialist (International)’ in the subject line to email@example.com, by August 27th 2018. Only shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.
About the Organization
Adam Smith International is a multi-award-winning development company that delivers real impact, value and lasting change through projects supporting economic growth and government reform. Our reputation as a global leader has been built on the delivery of transformative change in many of the world's most challenging environments. For over 20 years, Adam Smith International has worked with ministers, government officials and citizens across the globe on wide-ranging projects. These experiences have shaped our values and have led us to become a trusted leader in delivering projects that result in sustainable and far-reaching impact throughout the world.