The organization’s impact is delivered via its Pride program, a powerful blend of local capacity building, the replication of technical solutions, and grassroots communications for behavior change that has been empowering local conservation leaders since 1988 at more than 300 sites around the world. By catalyzing in-country private and public-sector funding, shifting behavior toward more sustainable practices, and focusing attention on critically threatened ecosystems and species, the organization accelerates and creates lasting social, environmental, and economic benefits for local communities and nature.
The organization’s program for watershed protection in Colombia is one of the three priority global conservation themes and is poised to deliver increasing impact at a critical time for natural resource management in Colombia’s history. Working at the nexus of water, agriculture, forests, climate resiliency, and the most impoverished communities in the country, there is increasing demand for work throughout Colombia.
After years of proven success, the organization is opening two new offices in Colombia (in Cali and Bogota) and is building a local team, creating an immediate opening for a Vice President. The Vice President has overall responsibility for leadership and management of the Colombia program and is a critical representative for the organization on a global level.
Major responsibilities include the development, management, and implementation of the organization’s Colombia Country Program, with a focus on scaling up its watershed protection methodology throughout key regions of the country. The candidate is fully responsible for the program’s revenues and costs, team management, private and public-sector relations, and serving as the key representative of the Colombia program within the organization.
As part of the role, the candidate will be expected to lead the development of blended or sustainable finance solutions that will lead to the funding of the program at scale by engaging the private sector and developing “investable” solutions for climate-smart watershed protection.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an executive with a proven record of success in growing and managing a business or business unit, hands-on product development, and operational experience, and a problem-solving mentality to join in a high-growth, mission-driven organization.
The candidate is expected to have complete fluency in Spanish and English and will be based in the office in Bogota, Colombia. S/he will exercise independent judgment regarding the following three priority areas:
STRATEGY, VISION, AND LEADERSHIP
- Refine and execute the Colombia strategy to achieve the organization’s targets for social and environmental impacts, including the scaling of the watershed program to at least 20% of the applicable market
- Develop replicable programs and products and ensure their execution through the management of the organization’s team and partners
- Develop sustainable or blended finance solutions to engage the public and private sector, and deploy private capital in investable vehicles that fund watershed protection at scale
- Engage with relevant policy initiatives at national and sub-national levels of government
- Create a national advisory board of top government, industry and technical professionals
- Revenue Generation and Financial Management
- Generate pipeline and close revenue opportunities to ensure funding and growth goals are met
- Steward domestic and international donors and partners
- Ensure long-term country and program financial resilience
- Oversee marketing and communications efforts in Colombia to increase the brand and profile of the organization in country
- Manage costs effectively and ensure the efficient delivery of outcomes on a cost-per-unit basis
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree or equivalent preferred
- At least twelve years of management and leadership experience, with increasing responsibility and full P&L management if at a growing organization or business unit
- Proactive, consultative and results-oriented with a track record of having strategically driven an organization’s mission forward, while simultaneously striving to improve organization business models
- Proven success managing complex projects involving multiple stakeholders, partnerships, and contracts
- Record of success in sourcing, developing and closing US-based and Colombia sales and/or fundraising opportunities, responding to RFPs and working with customers/donors to secure contributions
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to environmental issues, conservation or other cause/movement
- Experiences and expertise related to water, forests, climate or agriculture a plus
- Analytical, detail-orientated and organized
- Demonstrated success at building partnerships and strategic alliances that resulted in a quantifiable outcome.
- Ability to work and manage staff in a multi-cultural setting
- Excellent public speaking abilities and strong writing skills
- Willingness to travel internationally and locally based on needs of the position, often in rustic settings, and to work extended hours when necessary
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Spanish
- Preferably, in-country and/or regional experience and established networks