The Vice President, Marketing & Communications will develop and execute a comprehensive domestic and global communications and marketing strategy that raises PCI’s visibility among our target audiences, attracts and engages new supporters, partners and employees, and advances our mission. This position, based in Washington, DC, will lead our efforts to promote PCI’s successes and thought leadership, and position us as one of the most effective and successful integrated development NGOs in the world.
This position will help shape PCI’s direction and will lead PCI’s efforts to develop the brand’s position as the leader in its market segment by evolving and implementing the brand plan aligned to the mission and purpose of PCI, and integrated with the development, implementation and evaluation of PCI’s communications, marketing, and advocacy/government relations strategies. This strategy will influence and engage donors and potential donors (individuals, foundations, corporations, organizations, Capitol Hill, other NGOs and government agencies), and increase reputation of and commitment to PCI both externally and internally.
Reporting to the CEO and serving on the executive leadership team, the Vice President, Marketing & Communications will lead, mentor and support the work of vertical and cross team members and work closely with resource generation, program operations and management teams.
S/he will work closely with the CEO to ensure her time and activities are maximized for the strategic goals of PCI and that the CEO has the tools and support she needs to operate in the most efficient and effective manner. S/he will oversee the management of the DC office. This role will lead both strategically as well as engage significantly in operational activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and lead a cutting-edge communications strategy, including the development and implementation of a comprehensive communications plan to influence donors and all donor segments including individuals, foundations, organizations, Capitol Hill, other NGOs and government agencies by enhancing PCI’s awareness and reputation, and fostering understanding of and belief in PCI and our vision
- Create, manage and evaluate a cost-effective media strategy that achieves the overall marketing objectives
- Work with VP, Global HR to develop and execute a comprehensive internal communications strategy
- Lead the development, ongoing management, and evaluation of PCI’s overall brand strategy (as well as within each technical intervention area) that enables our external and internal constituents to connect to our values, vision and mission
- Create measurable brand visibility and equity through development and ongoing content strategy and management in consultation with the VP, Development and SVP, Programs for PCI’s materials, videos, collateral and website
- Work with VP, Global HR to develop and execute an employment brand strategy
- Train and develop all PCI staff, board members and other volunteers in consistent and accurate use of brand and key messages
- Lead the development, ongoing management, and evaluation of marketing initiatives to position PCI as the leader in our market segment(s) in consultation with the VP, Development, SVP, Programs, and VP of Programs & Managing Director of DC, including:
- Traditional and online donor (unrestricted, designated, and restricted) engagement, sponsorships, direct and database marketing, digital/social/internet branding, public relations, collateral/support materials, web site development and communications, and all forms of marketing presentations
- Recognize new market opportunities and influence program development priorities
- Manage media strategy and direct media partners in the development, implementation, evaluation, and optimization of those strategies against target objectives
Government Relations and Advocacy
- Develop and manage relationships with Executive and Legislative branches of the U.S. Government
- Serve as the lead and support to the President & CEO on all advocacy, government relations, and policy activities
- Identify and/or design activities to promote PCI and its leadership with U.S. government decision makers
- Oversee PCI’s advocacy efforts within the INGO community
- Manage operations in the PCI DC-based office.
- Collaborate with the Development, Technical, Programs and New Business teams to craft strategic schedules and priorities for the President & CEO.
- Ensure the President & CEO has the information and materials needed daily to effectively represent PCI externally and with staff.
- Lead and manage the communications and marketing team, ensuring clear goals and accountabilities are established and achieved.
- Ensure individuals have the resources to address performance and development needs, and employees are high performing and engaged.
- Produce systematic performance indicator reporting to track and report progress, roadblocks, and other relevant performance details
- Manage resource requirements (expenditure, human resource planning, etc.) necessary to deliver against objectives
Competencies and skills
Exceptional knowledge and skills in all aspects of communications, brand management and marketing, including:
- Demonstrated record of success in developing, implementing, evaluating and iterating strategies and solutions
- Thorough knowledge of marketing principles and brand management
- Strong competency in media relations; familiarity with digital media preferred
- Experience and familiarity in advocacy and government relations
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
Essential leadership characteristics and competencies
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills and the ability to translate these skills into operational plans
- Exceptional ability to lead and inspire staff to strive for increased achievement of PCI’s mission, vision and strategic objectives
- Exceptional ability to gain the trust of others and foster collaborative relationships. Proven ability to build collaborative, impactful relationships with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional problem-solving ability – both systematic and data based, and the ability to be creative and intuitive with a flair for thinking outside of the box
Required experience and demonstrated results
- 15+ years’ well-rounded professional experience in communications, marketing, and brand management in the private or NGO/philanthropic sector. Experience working in a similar organization or developing countries highly desired
- Minimum of five years’ executive management experience required
- Demonstrated experience working on complex initiatives with internal resources and external agencies
- Track record of performance excellence, exceeding targets and objectives
Education and/or certification
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree or commensurate experience preferred
Job LocationWashington, District of Columbia, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular
About the Organization
PCI’s mission is to empower people to enhance health, end hunger and overcome hardship.
The most vulnerable people in the world will have the power to lift themselves out of poverty and to create vital, healthy lives for their families and communities now and for the future.
In 1961, a young doctor from San Diego volunteering at a Tijuana clinic saved the lives of two small children who were dying of pneumonia. This experience led Dr. James Turpin to found PCI and forever change the lives of millions of children and families around the world by providing health and hope to those most in need. Since then, the focus of the organization has remained true to its founder: PCI works in vulnerable communities to improve health and create long-term change by helping people help themselves. For 50 years, thousands of dedicated individuals and groups have worked to make this vision a reality.