Devex is assisting an international conservation organization whose stated mission is to help communities adopt sustainable behaviors toward their natural environment and resources.
The Vice President, Mozambique will promote the organization’s mission of inspiring change, so people and nature thrive by leading and managing the development and execution of the country strategy. She/he will ensure the effective and efficient delivery and expansion of programs in collaboration with local government, donors and other stakeholders in Mozambique. She/he will lead the Mozambique team to ensure the Country Program remains strategically aligned, viable and competitive with the global organization strategy. She/he will collaborate with the global leadership team, particularly the Senior Vice President, Fish Forever and functional units to ensure that the business objectives are achieved.
The Vice President, Mozambique has a key role as a member of the Leadership Team (LT) and as such is responsible for providing input on all strategic initiatives in the organization.
The Vice President, Mozambique, is a seasoned leader with a record of success in the region and brings with him/her a large existing local and global network and proven track record of implementing community-orientated programs across broad geographic areas. He or she has tremendous managerial and leadership capacity, business acumen, and is dedicated to helping the organization achieve ambitious objectives for growth and impact.
The Vice President, Mozambique, will exercise independent judgment regarding the following areas of significance:
Program and Representation (25%)
- Serves as the Country’s primary spokesperson and as the organization’s representative for internal and external stakeholder and visitor communications. Ambassador for the advancement of advocacy and policy efforts in the country related to the organization’s mission at the national and local level to identify and influence decision makers in the area of conservation, climate change, and marine fisheries policy
Fundraising and Development (25%)
- Maintains and secures mid- to long-term funding for the country program by actively seeking diversified international and local sources of funding in view of identified country program needs and/or local requests related to the organization’s mission.
Team Leadership (20%)
- Ensures a cohesive and productive team by adopting goals, communicating direction, utilizing creative thinking, clarifying roles and responsibilities, and demonstrating good judgment and clear decision-making. Sets a strong example to others through a productive work environment. Supports ongoing development of staff; working in close collaboration with the Fish Forever program team and support teams across a global network of offices.
Program and Technical Support (20%)
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of programmatic goals and the technical aspects of program needs, appropriately applying procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies to ensure that technical goals are attained and programmatic commitments to donors and partners are met.
Operations Management (10%)
- Ensuring effective department operations and demonstrating strong management skills by overseeing effective work plans, ensuring appropriate staffing and training, implementing effective time management and providing clear and effective communications to Mozambique and global staff.
Experience & Education
- Higher degree (MBA, M.S., M.A).
- 10+ years successful experience managing complex multi-sector programs in a global setting; experience in Mozambique essential.
- At least 5 years proven experience in managing local, global and US government grants and/or cooperative agreements. Other international donor experiences an advantage.
- At least 5 years proven experience in leading and managing staff, including talent acquisitions, recruitment networking, staff development, training, mentoring, and performance reviews.
- Demonstrated financial management experience, including the preparation and management of budgets and contracts, and the management of banking activities and relationships including the adherence to procurement procedures.
- Experience leading and managing a multidisciplinary team, including managing senior level leaders and multiple functional teams and specialists.
- Builds trusting relationships across all levels within the organization
- Experience in fundraising, including cultivation of new donors and contributing technical content to proposals
- Demonstrate integrity and accountability at all times.
- Proven experience in networking, public relations, communications, advocacy and new business development
- Fluency in Portuguese and English required
- Internal – This position reports to Senior Vice President, Fish Forever.
- External - This position works closely with key officials of government, funding agencies, and other in-country partners.
The Vice President Mozambique has management responsibility for the entire Mozambique team.
This is a largely sedentary role; however, some light walking around the office may be necessary, such as lifting reams of paper, moving chairs, boxes and other office related equipment or tools.