The Vice President (VP) Program Management Unit (PMU) will provide leadership and management to all long term, field-based, projects. The VP-PMU will be responsible for the overall management, quality and financial performance of SI’s PMU portfolio. S/he oversees all field-based teams as well as an HQ back stopping team of approximately 10 staff who provide project management support to the field projects and is expected to maintain billability of up to 50% on PMU projects. The VP-PMU coordinates closely with technical and operational division heads to ensure high quality technical and operational support to SI’s field projects. S/he also coordinates closely with the VP Business Development to support efforts to grow the PMU portfolio of projects.
PMU Leadership and Management
- Sets and implements vision and strategy for the growth and success of the PMU.
- Works with heads of technical divisions and designated PMU staff to allocate resources and work flow and ensure a high rate of billable time for staff.
- The VP-PMU provides direct-billed project service delivery up to 50% of her/his time.
- Collaborates with other divisions to advance the interests of the company.
- Provides thought leadership for PMU team initiatives, especially around best practice management of field projects.
- Sets standard practices for PMU management for SI and strengthens existing management systems. Ensures strong knowledge management and information sharing across field office projects.
- Serves as the management section lead for all PMU bids and is closely involved with budgeting and final BAFO negotiations.
- Tracks the opportunities that are upcoming and that will be re-bid and helps the company to plan for these systematically.
- Provides input for proposal development, accessing top talent and developing and maintaining strong networks within the industry.
- Provides high level oversight of the portfolio of project offices being implemented by SI. Has ultimate accountability for profit and loss, revenue growth, quality of work and client satisfaction of the PMU portfolio.
- Conducts regular reviews of projects to ensure that they are high performing.
- Oversees client relationship management of PMU portfolio. Conducts semi-annual client check in calls to ensure field office projects are on track and the client is satisfied.
- Supports the PMU staff in their day to day supervision of their respective sub-portfolios in order to achieve these objectives. Steps in as needed when issues are escalated for resolution. May need to travel on short notice to address difficult or sensitive client facing problems.
- Works closely with staff to ensure implementation of SI’s quality assurance procedures across the entire portfolio.
- Ensures low internal audit risk reports for all project offices and works with the team to address all audit risks in a timely manner.
- Coordinates with the technical division heads to provide appropriate technical oversight for the portfolio.
- Establishes a professionally satisfying and engaging environment for the entire PMU team.
- Ensures that COPs are properly oriented, mentored and have professional development goals in line with their identified needs.
- Conducts timely performance reviews and addresses performance issues so they do not affect project implementation.
- Mentors and supports the professional development of service area staff, including identification or development of internal learning opportunities.
- Establishes and nurtures relationships with senior staff in Social Impact’s client and partner organizations. Represents Social Impact with clients and partners.
- Serves as a thought leader and high-level representative for SI in the wider development community.
- Participates and presents at strategic conferences and venues.
- Provides senior level technical support on selected projects, including project director role for evaluations, directing implementation and assisting with problem solving.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- 15+ years of experience in leading field project offices for international development programs across sectors, with a strong understanding of monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience with USAID. Experience with other bilateral and multilateral agencies a plus.
- Recognized management expert with field project management experience (significant experience as a COP preferred).
- Strong leadership, decision making and problem-solving skills. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work with ease with staff at all levels in the organization and in a variety of cultural context.
- Technical expertise in one or more sectors (health, education, governance, climate etc.) a strong plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 30% of the time.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.