Devex is the media platform for the global development community.
You: A creative video editor with keen attention to detail and superb communication skills who wants to join our social enterprise on a freelance or contract basis. We’re building a network of video production professionals to support our journalism and storytelling work at Devex — if you’re eager to develop your skills and work with a global team of international development news reporters, read on.
Us: a buzzed-about social enterprise committed to changing the world through our audience of one million aid workers and development professionals. An international organization founded at the Harvard Kennedy School, Devex is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in Barcelona and Manila and reporters around the world.
Our diverse global team includes 130 web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time, and professionals at NGOs like Save the Children, CARE, ONE, and the Gates Foundation rely on us to be in-the-know.
You will have an opportunity to grow and learn from sharp, committed colleagues, and be part of an innovative culture that’s low on bureaucracy and high on impact (and fun). Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.
Why this position is great for you:
- Devex continually innovates our digital video presence. Whether it’s a news story, a marketing piece, live event coverage or a video design element for our website, we’re committed to staying on the cutting edge of what’s trending and effective in online platforms
- Our team covers the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time
- This position allows you to interact and learn from some of the most inspiring leaders in the world, from celebrities to philanthropists to aid workers making a difference on the ground
- Professionals at NGOs like Save the Children, CARE, ONE, Gates Foundation and more rely on us to be in-the-know
- We’re a dynamic company that’s growing fast and that has an open, collaborative culture
- No bureaucracy here: you’ll get to own your work and will get the support you need
- Want to get ahead? We’re filled with stories of people who joined Devex and moved up, and up, and up. And that’s exactly what we’re looking for from you
What we’ll need from you:
We are looking for freelance video professionals to work with on an ongoing contract basis. Most frequently, your tasks will involve video editing and post-production. This includes:
- Managing post-production process on video projects from raw footage to video upload
- Receiving and organizing footage from studio and field shoots
- Collaborating with reporters and producers to script videos, suggest edits and advise on creative treatment
- Sourcing additional assets including audio, photos and BRoll video from third party resources
- Multi-camera syncing and switching, color correction, basic audio mixing
- Creating original graphic elements and elements based on After Effects templates
- Adding text elements
- Following predetermined format and style guidelines for social media optimization
The basic requirements for this role are…
- 2+ years video production experience
- Your own editing equipment
- Deep knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop)
- Strong sense of design, an understanding of pace and narrative
- A passion for creative video editing techniques and approaches
- A keen interest in developing your ability to translate complex ideas into thought-provoking videos
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively with a remote team for constructive feedback and creative input
- Professional, thorough communication skills
Besides the basic requirements, here’s what we’d love to see…
- An understanding of the global development landscape
- A track record of producing videos that have measurable impact
- Motion graphics expertise (animating maps, data, graphs, etc.)
- Videography skills
- Solid social media writing and video scripting skills
- Strong editorial judgement and/or experience working in a newsroom
Get the conversation started by submitting your CV and cover letter now! Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world.