WASH Evaluation Specialist, Ex-post Evaluation of USAID/Mozambique’s Strengthening Communities through Integrated Programming (SCIP) inZambézia
Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of management consulting, technical assistance, and training services to strengthen international development programs, organizations, and policies. We provide services globally in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, project and program design, organizational capacity building, and gender and social analysis. SI services cross-cut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. SI’s clients include US government agencies such as USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the US Department of State, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and non-profits.
Social Impact is a sub-contractor to ECODIT on the Water Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) Project, a five-year task order under the Water and Development IDIQ (WADI) supporting the work of USAID’s Water Office in the Bureau for Economic Growth, Education and Environment (E3/W). A key SI role in the CKM project is to conduct a series of performance evaluations of closed USAID-funded water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) projects to further USAID’s understanding of the extent to which the achievements of their WASH activities have been sustained, and reasons why these outcomes and activities have or have not been sustained. This position will be hired by ECODIT and managed by SI’s CKM monitoring and evaluation (M&E) Specialist.
USAID funded the Strengthening Communities through Integrated Programming (SCIP) in Zambézia province Mozambique from 2009-2014. SCIP was implemented by World Vision and the activity aimed to “improve the health and livelihoods of women, children and families in Zambézia Province by pursuing an integrated, innovative, andsustainable community-based program supporting cross-sector integration of USAID’s development actions in the province.” This ex-post performance evaluation will examine the long-term sustainability of the SCIP activity’s approach to improve rural water supply and sanitation.
SI seeks a WASH Evaluation Specialist to support the evaluation team in the design, data analysis, data collection, analysis and reporting of the SCIP activity.
The position is based in Maputo, Mozambique, with travel to the Zambezia region. Data collection is tentatively scheduled to occur in June 2019. During this time the team will travel to the Zambezia region to collect data for up to four weeks. This assignment requires approximately 30 days of labor between April and July 2019.
**Please note: Local applicants from Mozambique preferred; however, international experts with considerable experience in Mozambique may be considered.**
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prior to field work , add technically and contextually relevant expertise to evaluation design, data collection instruments, and interviewee targets.
- Participate in, an approximate three-day evaluation methods training, piloting, and planning session prior to fieldwork.
- Assist team in conducting field research, including notetaking, logistics arrangements, and qualitative data collection, such as interviews with key stakeholders.
- Contribute to preliminary data analysis and note synthesis. Data will be in the form of qualitative notes, and transcripts, quantitative data and relevant secondary data reports.
- Participate in client and stakeholder presentations.
- Contribute to developing and drafting documents and reports as needed.
- 5-10+ years of demonstrated experience conducting program evaluations or research, including evaluation or implementation experience specifically in the area of rural water and sanitation in Mozambique, or a similar context.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with strong preference for degree relevant to public policy, public health, or another WASH-related field.
- Demonstrated experience conducting qualitative research
- Experience conducting quantitative data collection experience a plus.
- USAID experience is a plus.
- Experience in Mozambique is required.
- English and Portuguese fluency required, fluency in languages relevant to Zambezia preferred; Proficiency with MS Office Suite programs required.
- Candidates are not eligible if they were involved in implementation of the program being evaluated (SCIP), or other WASH projects implemented by SCIP implementers.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.