Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the WASH and Infrastructure staff. Develop, lead, monitor, and evaluate the WASH & Infrastructure aspects of the country programme. Coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional WASH and Infrastructure authorities and other NGOs. Lead on all WASH and Infrastructure elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff. Promote best practice in the WASH and Infrastructure programmes and contribute to the overall management of the country programme.
Emergency health, WASH and infrastructure projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in NE Congo. Projects aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change in general population and state health employees to improve public health and humanitarian access.
Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in D.R. Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
WASH & Infrastructure Project Technical Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the country WASH and Infrastructure programme and of the regional context, with a view to strategically developing new projects in current sites and/or surrounding regions.
- Give technical advice on potential involvement in new WASH and Infrastructure interventions, including NFI distributions, and internal WASH and Infrastructure capacity for implementation.
- Define appropriate guidelines and protocols, in line with government, Sphere and WHO guidelines.
- Provide technical support in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits, ensuring that project objectives are met.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data collection (qualitative and quantitative), analysis and follow-up; feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Maintain oversight of WASH and Infrastructure supplies ordered for health projects, supporting WASH and Infrastructure and logistics staff in the coordination and quality control of WASH and Infrastructure supplies. Input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in projects.
- Develop relationships with Ministry of Roads, Environment, Public Works, UN, NGOs, donors, partners and stakeholders, to raise awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Accompany donors on field trips; ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely manner.
- Represent Medair at national WASH, Logistics (for roads) and Shelter/NFI cluster, sector and bilateral meetings, and any other relevant meetings or events, facilitating supportive synergies and overall progress in the sector and avoiding duplication with the work of other agencies (e.g. NGOs, UN, etc).
- Be involved in the recruitment of WASH and Infrastructure staff for the country programme, providing advice on technical skills and experience as requested.
- Ensure that all WASH and Infrastructure staff are adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints. Plan and develop training material, supporting line managers with inductions and appraisals.
- Responsible for quality input to all WASH & Infrastructure external reports for the Country Programme.
- Responsible for providing accurate and timely feedback regarding all WASH & Infrastructure technical and programme issues to PMs, Deputy Country Directors, Country Director and HQ WASH Advisor.
- Work with field managers and HQ staff to plan and construct WASH and Infrastructure budgets.
- Ensure WASH and Infrastructure projects are implemented in line with donor requirements and in accordance with Medair, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards. Follow the direction of the WASH and Shelter Advisors regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback / recommendations to HQ advisors and field staff on the quality of WASH and Infrastructure programmes and interventions during field visits and at other times.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- BSc / BEng in a technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture / engineering / construction management.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ experience in managing programmes in international WASH & Infrastructure work, with at least 1 year in humanitarian emergency context.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols; advanced leadership and project management skills.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills; good report, proposal writing, negotiation skills.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.