Role and Responsibilities
To effectively manage the water and sanitation project in line with the objectives, budget and timeframe laid down in the current proposal under the overall guidance of the WASH Coordinator.
Emergency Relief and Rehabilitation projects in countries of high vulnerability. All WASH projects contribute towards increased access for the beneficiaries to appropriate water and sanitation facilities, in combination with promotion of safe hygiene practices.
Medair brings life-saving relief and rehabilitation in disasters, conflict areas, and other crises by working alongside the most vulnerable. Its staff are inspired by their Christian faith to care for people in need, providing practical and compassionate support, regardless of race, religion, or politics. Medair has achieved the ISO 9001:2000 quality certification worldwide, which denotes consistent and effective project management activities for the well-being of its beneficiaries. Founded in 1989, Medair’s unwavering commitment continues to bring hope to the world’s most vulnerable.
Normally ranges from (a minimum of) 12 months to 2 years, 100%
This position is not currently open, but frequently required in the Field
Based in capital city or main field base in one of our field programmes in Afghanistan, DR Congo, Madagascar, Somalia, Southern Sudan, or Uganda.
Key activity areas
Technical / Management
- Responsible for the implementation of the WASH programme in the field in close collaboration with WASH NRS (Nationally Recruited Staff) and according to the activity plan and time frame of the project.
- Ensure the quality construction of all water and sanitation structures, ensuring good maintenance and sustainable processes are put in place.
- Conduct regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives.
- Support the WASH Coordinator in the development of strategy and new proposals.
- To coordinate with the logistics department and ensure all project related equipment is available on site in a timely fashion.
- Manage personnel related issues for assigned NRS (e.g. job descriptions, recruitment, staff appraisals and disciplinary procedures, staff development and training and general well-being) in consultation with the HR / Admin Manager.
- Responsible for coaching, training and promoting of national staff in assigned programmes.
Administration / Communication
- Carry out administration and report writing for the assigned programmes.
- To contribute accurate and timely reporting of activities including internal (monthly) and external (donor quarterly and final) reports.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation
- BSc/MSc in Water, Hydrology, Environmental Engineering or Management desirable
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years work experience post qualification
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation
- Previous management and leadership experience desirable
- Ability to learn from local staff about local culture
- Planning and organisational skills; problem solver, dynamic and mature
- Good communicator and able to pass on information efficiently
- Committed to consultative and servant minded leadership
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips
- Basic report writing skills
Medair standard working requirements for the field
- Committed Christians and committed to Medair values
- At least one year of professional experience in a relevant field (more experience preferred)
- Minimum 3 months inter-cultural overseas experience
- Willing to commit to Medair for a minimum of one year
- Single, or married (without dependent children)
- Aged 25 - 55 generally preferred
- Strong English communication skills (oral and written)
- Familiar with Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Able to live and work with a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
- Successful completion of Medair Relief & Rehabilitation Orientation Course (ROC)
- An allowance based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder
- Full HQ organisational and role briefing, as well as in-country briefing
- Additional security training for those going to insecure environments
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country, plus all flights to and from the country programme
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with 60 days post assignment cover, which includes counselling, if necessary
- Annual leave
- Rest and Recuperation (R&R) leave including associated travel, accommodation and food expenses
- Additional benefits for those who commit to longer contracts – re-entry allowance or training allowance, extra flights to and from home, additional paid leave (up to 4 weeks) every 12 months
- Living conditions on field trips (which may last several days) are very basic, and communication is only via HF radio or satphone. Travel for field trips is often by 4WD vehicle
- The role is estimated to be partly office based and partly field based and percentages may vary depending on the needs.
- The position focuses on management, planning and coordination of parts of the WASH project, including the supervision and coaching of national staff.
For more information on this and other positions, please follow this web link: www.medair.org/work-with-us and check the Experienced Relief Worker section followed by Field Vacancies.
We request that you complete all applications on-line at www.medair.org. Only English-language applications and CV’s will be reviewed. We will not review email applications. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is ongoing until the position is filled. We review every online application. Applicants will be contacted only if they are selected as a potential candidate.