As part of the activities to mark World Water Day 2018, the need for the Federal Government of Nigeria to declare a state of emergency in the WASH sector was strongly canvassed by WaterAid. This crystalized into the formal declaration of a state of emergency in the WASH sector by the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) in April 2018. While this represents a huge milestone in the quest to achieve WASH for everyone everywhere in Nigeria, it calls for support towards actualizing the state of emergency and ensuring it does not end as a mere political statement that does not translate to tangible action.
This role will be responsible for strengthening and coordinating WaterAid Nigeria’s internal capacity to engage at the highest level of WASH decision making in Nigeria and for mobilize private sector, development partners, civil society and all tiers of the Nigerian government to take decisive measures that support the objectives of the emergency declaration.
Working in close collaboration with the WaterAid Nigeria Programmes team, the WASH Technical Lead will:
- Provide leadership and coordination of WaterAid Nigeria’s technical support to the federal and state government agencies & institutions in the design of specific activities, milestones and targets that translate the WASH emergency declaration to action
- Identify windows of influence and foster collaborative partnership and alliances with other WASH stakeholders to achieve the goals of the WASH state of emergency
- Work strategically and maintain positive relationship with senior WASH actors and decision makers to advocate the replication of the state of emergency declaration as a potential opportunity to increase WASH access in these states
- Identify opportunities for linking national WASH plan priorities with key priorities in education, health and related sectors
- Work in close collaboration with the WaterAid sector Capacity & Support Manager to conduct gap assessment of key agencies responsible for driving achievement of WASH emergency declaration and identify sector strengthening initiatives to reduce/remove such gaps
To be successful, you’ll need:
- A master’s degree in the Social Sciences, development studies, international development, public health or other relevant field with at least ten (10) years’ experience with at least three (3) of these in a senior role with responsibility for delivering WASH.
- Proven understanding of WASH, Integrated Water Resources Management and Hygiene behaviour change issues as they relate to wider development and poverty reduction themes
- Sound knowledge of development project management approaches; conducting formative researches and use of research outcomes to provide evidence for decision making
- Experience working in partnership with governmental institutions and with building capacity of civil society organizations (CSO’s) and government.
- Proven ability to influence key sector stakeholders and create change; an understanding of advocacy tools and approaches.
- Fully committed to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
Find the job description below for full details of the role.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to email@example.com with the job title as the subject of the email.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.
About the Organization
WaterAid is on a mission to change normal for millions of people within a generation by getting clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene to everyone, everywhere by 2030. Without all three, people can't live dignified, healthy lives. With all three, they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty, and change their lives for good. Children grow up healthy and strong, women and men get to earn a living, whole communities start to thrive. It sounds normal and it should be.
WaterAid is a place for people looking for inspiring, stimulating work and a real spirit of togetherness - people with a commitment to our vision, an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important of challenges.
We are looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, who have an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also have the chance to grow and space to be yourself at your best.