Job DescriptionRTI International is seeking applicants for the role of West Africa Ag/Energy Advisor to serve as part of the Power Africa Off-Grid project (PAOP). PAOP is a four-year USAID-funded project to promote off-grid electrification in 18 African countries.
The West Africa Ag/Energy Advisor is responsible for supporting productive use models of off-grid energy to strengthen agricultural value chains and rural livelihoods in West Africa. This is a full-time role based in Dakar, Senegal or Abidjan Cote d’Ivoire. This position reports to PAOP Cross Cutting Team Leader.
• Lead all activities relating to agriculture in West Africa, including conducting assessments, identification of highest impact opportunities, contributing to annual work plans, implementing approved activities, and reporting on progress
• Map priority agricultural value chains in target West African countries to identify opportunities for improving productivity or reducing costs through the introduction of off grid electricity or solar-powered agricultural equipment
• Identify and advance opportunities to promote partnerships and facilitate introductions between off-grid companies and agricultural value chain actors, including farmer cooperatives, extension agencies, bulk-buyers, and input suppliers.
• Identify challenges and opportunities in the agricultural sector that can be unlocked through the implementation of off-grid energy solutions
• Support off-grid companies in developing, refining and scaling up productive use off-grid solutions and business models in West Africa
• Provide technical assistance to SMEs in the agriculture sector to understand and implement off-grid energy solutions
• Advise PAOP country advisors in -West Africa on issues relating to the ag/energy nexus and agricultural value chains
• Coordinate with USAID missions in West Africa to align PAOP ag/energy activities with other economic growth programs, such as Feed the Future.
• Perform other duties to ensure accomplishment of relevant project objectives as assigned by direct supervisor
• Master’s degree in a relevant technical field (agricultural engineering, agricultural economics, agricultural science, etc.)
• Eight (8) years’ relevant experience including substantive field experience in Africa
• Prior experience working in the agriculture sector, preferably with the agriculture/energy nexus
• Strong technical and analytical skills on a range of issues related to agriculture
• Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills;
• Strong verbal and written English communications skills.
• Familiarity with the institutional context of African agricultural development
• Demonstrated, strong experience with community engagement, consultative processes, community land rights and issues
• Demonstrated experience with pay-as-you go, microcredit, micro-entrepreneurship models, community credit (such as Grameen bank), establishment of creditworthiness/credit history
• Demonstrated understanding of economic and business constraints to rural agribusiness
About the OrganizationIDG Learning, Energy & Environment for Development