Deloitte is recruiting experienced Senior Energy Specialists (full-time) to be based in West Africa to support the USAID West Africa Energy Program (WAEP). Senior Energy Specialists will be responsible for supporting WAEP’s technical activities and driving results.
This position is open to candidates from West Africa as well as international candidates.
Role and Responsibilities
Senior Energy Specialists are expected to engage in a diverse set of interventions aligned with WAEP activities in West Africa (scope of work to be defined, based on background and experience):
- Lead activities to achieve intermediate results in one of the following areas: power project development (generation/transmission/distribution), Power Purchase Agreements, power system planning, design and implementation of electrification strategy, energy utility reform, tariff/pricing reform, regional power market development, regulatory and policy development
- Leverage technical expertise and international energy development experience to inform strategic decision-making and bring leading practices to the WAEP team
- Perform managerial activities to deliver a large-scale, complex program and ensure high-quality delivery from a large, dispersed team
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in economics, engineering, finance, or other relevant field, particularly in energy sector
- Minimum of 7 years in the energy sector, 10 years preferred
- Significant experience in at least one, preferably several, of the areas identified in the Role and Responsibilities section above
- Experience working in a similar context in West Africa region
- Previous experience with USAID and Power Africa preferred, and/or with donor agency programs
- Demonstrated experience operating and managing teams in developing country environments, including conducting technical activities
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to write, communicate, and prepare engagement materials fluently in English, French strongly preferred
The WAEP team is temporarily working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In the long-term, the primary place of performance for this activity will be in the WAEP regional office in Accra, Ghana, with travel throughout West Africa as needed. Other locations in West Africa may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
About the Organization
Deloitte Consulting LLP’s Government and Public Services (GPS) is implementing the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) West Africa Energy Program (WAEP), a 4-year project under Power Africa. The objective of WAEP is to expand supply of and access to affordable and reliable grid-connected electricity services in West Africa through a range of technical assistance, capacity building, and transactional support to advance Power Africa’s objective in the West Africa region. WAEP implements targeted interventions to achieve the following Outcomes:
- Increase the supply of power in West Africa;
- Enable expanded end-user connection to the grid;
- Improve the technical and institutional capacity and performance of select national utilities, and other relevant national power sector entities; and
- Accelerate the establishment of a high functioning regional power market.