Job DescriptionRTI is currently seeking qualified candidates for a Market Systems Manager position on an anticipated USAID-funded Feed the Future Crop and Dairy Market Systems Development Activity. The goal of the activity is to improve productivity and incomes of smallholder Kenyan farmers and strengthen market systems. USAID anticipates a five-year period of performance with a total estimated cost range of $50-60 million. The Western Kenya Market Systems Manager is responsible for building relationships with public and private sector stakeholders, overseeing interventions, and managing staff and project partners. This position will be based in Kisumu (or Eldoret), Kenya, with frequent travel within Western Kenya.
- Manage technical and administrative personnel and subcontractors in the implementation of a large, complex activity to build capacity of actors in targeted value chains.
- Lead the design and implementation of agricultural market systems facilitation interventions
- Ensure timely project implementation and technical reliability, monitor project activities, and ensure quality.
- Provide technical and/or operational guidance and serve as a subject matter expert
- Develop relationships with county governments and private agribusinesses
- Coordinate the development, implementation and reporting on detailed management plans that may include implementation plans, deliverable tracking, etc., for activities in Western Kenya.••
- Ensure effective coordination and synergies between policy •level, market level, and community based activities, while managing heavy procurements, deliveries and other related logistical actions.
- Manage county-level satellite offices.
- Master•s degree in international development, economics, business, agricultural or rural development and at least 9 years of demonstrated management experience in managing value chain or agri-business projects.
- At least 12 years• experience in economic growth, value chain development, or agricultural development programs is required. Experience in dairy or horticulture is preferred.
- Knowledge of market facilitation approach (M4P) is required.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with international development contracting policies and procedures, specifically USAID. Experience working with grantees preferred.
- Experience in Kenya is required; Experience in Western Kenya is preferred.
- Knowledge of finance and private sector investment.
- Understanding of agricultural policy environment in targeted counties and value chains required.
- Ability to build consensus and demonstrated ability to recruit and develop high performing teams; demonstrated ability to manage staff.
- Experience and demonstrated capacity to build and sustain partnerships to achieve development results.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English. Fluency in Kiswahili required.
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative across projects, flexible and creative.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
About the OrganizationIDG Food & Agriculture