Creative Associates International (Creative Associates) is implementing the USAID/West Africa’s program Partnerships for Peace (P4P). The program is partnering with stakeholders at the regional, national, and sub-national level across several West African countries, to develop a shared foundational understanding of counter violent extremism (CVE) and Women, Peace and Security (WPS) issues in the region. The project will improve institutional capacity of organizations and governments to implement more effective CVE and WPS approaches. To lead and support the implementation of Women, Peace and Security related initiatives in P4P, Creative Associates seeks to engage a highly qualified and motivated Gender and Women in Peace and Security Expert to provide programmatic support as well as reporting on all WPS activities.
The WPS Coordinator consultant will report to the Corporate Monitor in Creative’s HQ, with close supervision by the P4P Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party.
The Women, Peace and Security Coordinator with a Gender and CVE background, will assist with all programmatic aspects of the project, ensuring effective and efficient program design and management for Women, Peace and Security initiatives across the Sahel region. S/he will be responsible for providing expertise to Country-based teams to develop programming that advances the specific WPS objectives in a meaningful way, as well as providing oversight and coordination with all Country-based teams. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that all activities are sound and moving forward in each country in compliance with each country’s NAP for UN 1325, and serving as point of contact for all WPS specific technical and programmatic considerations from the field teams. These tasks include:
- Contributing to activity design specifically ensuring that:
- P4P WPS activities are relevant and context specific, policy changes/advocacy that are consistent with the United Nations, Africa Union and ECOWAS Policies on Women, Peace and Security, and in line with USAID’s ADS 205 and Policy on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment as well as the individual countries Gender Policy National Action Plans
- Overseeing the implementation of the project’s Women and Peacebuilding activities at the regional and country levels and ensuring its compliance with the above directives
- Identifying and engage governmental partners, national and local women organizations, and grantees to help implement the Women and Peacebuilding initiatives
- Reviewing grantee activities and reports are accurately captured and shared in a timely manner with the main regional office, are accurately reported in P4P’s M&E indicators, and that potential WPS success stories are identified and documented
- Support the country teams in identifying potential grantees and documenting small grant activities, in conjunction with the Grants and Database Manager and the country-based Grants Associates.
- Advise the COP and DCOP on the evolution of the local political, legal, and economic situation and gender-based constraints that inhibit the full and meaningful participation of women in peacebuilding efforts in the sub-region and on advising the P4P program to develop or continuously adapt P4P interventions to address or overcome the identified gender-based constraints to ensure that project indicators and objectives are met.
- Providing technical expertise during field visits when required.
A Masters’ degree holder in Social Science with a minimum of 7 years working experience in Peacebuilding and gender issues
Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- At least two years working in the domain of gender and CVE, or Women, Peace and Security in conflict environments or areas affected by VE.
- Demonstrated experience working in the Sahel region with government representatives, regional organizations, local communities, and local NGOs and women’s associations
- Excellent understanding of gender dynamics in the Sahel
- Experience with program design, implementation, and reporting
- Understanding of the USAID regulations, policies, and procedures such as designing activities to meet objectives and the work planning process.
- Fluency in French and a basic working knowledge in English is required
- Strong interpersonal skills, particularly in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse and virtual team.
- Ability to multitask and deal with stressful situations.
- Ability to adapt within the working environment.
- Strong writing skills in French required
- Fluency in one of the major national languages of G5 Sahel countries is preferred (Moore, Fulani, Arab, Hausa, Bamana)
- Proficiency in Microsoft environment
The preference is for the consultant to be based in the West African subregion (ideally in one of the G-5 Sahel countries). Other candidates are welcome to apply. However, the applicant should be available to travel to in P4P’s countries of implementation in the G5 Sahel subregion of West Africa (or in P4P’s regional offices in Accra, Ghana) as required.