Women’s Economic Empowerment Advisor, DOS Evaluation of the Academy for Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) Program
The US Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) seeks evaluation services for an independent evaluation of ECA’s Academy for Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) Program. In 2019, the AWE was established to provide women entrepreneurs across 24 countries in Latin America, the Caribbean and Africa with the skills, resources, and networks needed to start and scale successful businesses. Using an online platform Dream Builder, in partnership with Arizona State University’s Thunderbird School of Global Management and Freeport-McMoRan, the program’s core curriculum provides women with fundamental business skills including how to create business plans and raise capital, supplemented with localized content as well as networking and mentorship opportunities.
The purpose of this evaluation is to determine how successful AWE is in meeting program aims. This evaluation will assess the impact of AWE on program alumnae and their businesses, determine if and how AWE furthers networks between participants and other ECA alumni, and identify best practices and lessons learned for future cohorts of the program. This evaluation will cover alumnae from the 2019 cohort, totaling more than 2,000 alumnae across select countries in Latin America, the Caribbean, and Africa.
The estimated period of performance for this evaluation activity is August 2020 through February 2021.
SI is seeking a Women’s Economic Empowerment Advisor who will support the evaluation team by providing technical expertise on women’s economic empowerment and entrepreneurship. This position will serve as a consultant throughout the 7-month period of performance.
- Perform desk review and identify additional information required for analysis.
- Provide technical expertise on women economic empowerment and support the Team Leader’s efforts in evaluation design, methodology, and data collection instruments.
- Support the preparation and presentation of the key findings and recommendations to client.
- Write assigned section of the draft evaluation report in coordination with the team members, taking into consideration feedback from the preliminary findings’ presentation.
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing.
- Master’s degree in a discipline related to entrepreneurship, business administration, economic development, international development, gender studies, or related field.
- At least eight (8) years of experience in the design, implementation and/or evaluation of gender equality/women’s economic empowerment programs or activities.
- Strong understanding of empirical record and theory regarding women’s economic empowerment approaches.
- Previous research, evaluation, and/or assessment experience required
- Must have exceptional organizational, analytical, writing, and presentation skills.
- Relevant prior experience in any of the three regions the program operates in (i.e., Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean).
- Professional Proficiency in written and oral English is required.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997, we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.