Posted on: 28/05/2018
Desired start date: 01/07/2018
Duration of the mission: 12 months
About the mission:
After three years of conflict, Yemen experienced a collapse of its economy and public services’ provision. Human losses directly caused by the armed conflict are dramatic, and in particular the amount of civilian casualties. The indirect impact of this conflict is dramatic as well with 22 million of people considered in needs of humanitarian assistance (around 70% of the total national population) and the biggest known cholera outbreak in the modern history (1,020,179 suspected cases registered from April 2017 until January 2018).
SI Yemen mission opened mid-September 2017. Registered in South Yemen, SI mission is based in Aden. The expatriate team is comprised of the Country Director, Logistics Coordinator, Administrative Coordinator, Program Coordinator, Deputy Program Coordinator and two Program Managers. About 25 national staff are currently based in Aden. An operational base is currently opening in Lahj governorate, and two other will open in the coming months in Taizz governorate.
The mission is currently implementing two projects funded by the French Centre de Crise et de Soutien (CDCS) and the Humanitarian Fund for Yemen. They consist in an integrated emergency assistance for displaced populations and host communities in Al Qabbaytah district (Lahj Governorate), with activities in WASH (rehabilitation of water supply facilities, construction and rehabilitation of latrines notably) and Food Security & Livelihoods (cash & vouchers, acces to agricultural inputs).
The mission’s current budget is about 2.5 million USD but a significant increase is expected in the coming weeks and months with proposals currently in discussion with USAID, OFDA and the Humanitarian Fund for Yemen notably.
About the job:
The mission is looking for a Food Security and Livelihood Coordinator, based in Aden with regular field visits. Yemen being one of Solidarités International’s fastest growing missions, The FSL Coordinator will have the opportunity to accompany the existing activities in Al Lahj and kick off the FSL activities in Ash Shamayatayn district of Taizz governorate (Al Turbah base).
Being under the direct management of the Country Director, the FSL Coordinator will be directly involved in the development of the mission and in its overall strategy. He/She will functionally manage two FSL Program Managers.
SI is thus looking for an emergency-focused, proactive and intuitive collaborator able to lead operations in insecure environments…. And willing to join us on a great mission!!
• Propose and develop a sector-based strategy in accordance with SI’s policies and priorities for the intervention country.
• Propose and organize diagnostic missions in Food Security and Livelihoods
• Support the Country Director in the monitoring and analysis of the FSL sector and the analysis of donors’ strategies
Relevance and quality of projects:
• Confirm the relevance of any assessments carried out
• Propose and organize evaluation missions
• Support the program supervisor/s in setting up a technical approach and assessing the financial, human, and logistical elements of programs to be implemented
• Ensure that work meets sustainability requirements and that established norms and standards are respected
Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring
• Ensure that resources from the Tool Box are used correctly in the management of the project cycle.
• Ensure that the planning and monitoring timetable is consolidated / validated
• Approve the quality criteria and performance indicators of FSL programs proposed by the program managers.
• Ensure that Solidarités International’s capitalization tools are correctly used and disseminated throughout HQ (technical unit and desks)
• Participate in the centralization and dissemination of procedures, guides and tools linked to FSL activities
• Propose improvements to existing tools
• In conjunction with HQ HR, define the prerequisites for FSL position openings and adapt existing criteria if necessary.
• Identify training requirements within the team and the resources available in the work area
• Implement technical training in line with operational needs identified by training requirements
• Lead workshops, coordination meetings and/or technical exchange programs
• Evaluate and assess the performance of collaborators under his/her direct supervision
Reporting / communication / representation
• Support the Country Director with fundraising and the negotiation and examination of project proposals relating to his/her activity
• Convey information to the relevant authorities on security matters or any event having a possible consequence on Solidarités International activities and the security of the teams.
• Consolidate activity reports and supervise the preparation annexes linked to FSL activities for reports and/or financial donors
Education and experience
• Masters’ degree or equivalent in related sectors;
• Previous experience as FSL Coordinator (at least 1 year) a prerequisite;
• Experience in mission opening, preferably with SI, is an asset;
• Experience in in tensed context in terms of security;
• Experience in semi-remote management is an asset.
Knowledge and technical skills
• Good and proven writing and spoken English are required;
• Knowledge about cash based programs;
• Experience in Yemen or Middle East countries appreciated;
• Arabic speaking is an asset;
• Organizational and analytical skills;
• Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff;
• Knowledge of project cycle management, and project reporting;
• Multi-project support experience;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Skill transfer ability highly appreciated;
• Anticipation and self-organization capacities;
• Great work and stress management capacities;
• Willingness to work in complex and volatile environments.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English by following this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?ID=PJ5FK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NA7&nPostingTargetID=28928
(CV only : applications will not be considered.)
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
[Living conditions : ]
The living conditions in Aden are good even though movements are very restricted (curfew at 8 pm, most of the city being considered as no-go or restricted areas). Trips to the field is possible for expatriates under certain condition but are limited to keep the presence of international staff low profile.
Specific constraints related to security:
The situation in terms of security remains tense in Aden and its surrounding Lahj governorate, due to the proximity of the frontline, the political unrest and the presence of armed opposition groups.
SI will offer you:
A salaried post: according to experience from 2400 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly and a monthly per diem of 750 USD.
Vacation: during the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 750 USD allocated by SI). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (SI will cover travel costs).
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Florent Turc, Recruitment and Follow-Up Officer