Beleaguered MCA-Malawi office reopens

The Millennium Challenge Account office in Malawi is back in business. How long it will exist, however, remains to be seen.

In an article published May 25 in The Daily Times, Sam Kakhobwe, a national program coordinator for MCA-Malawi, said the office reopened a week earlier and will remain in operation until the board of the Washington-based Millennium Challenge Corp. makes a decision on the fate of the compact. The MCC board is expected to meet June 21.

MCC put its compact with Malawi on operational hold in July 2011 and formally suspended it in March 2012, in the wake of political violence in the country. In early April, days after the death of Bingu wa Mutharika and her assumption of the presidency, Joyce Banda began talks with MCC officials.

Kakhobwe, another officer and three support employees were the only ones called back to report for office. Based on its organization chart, MCA-Malawi would have at least 20 staff positions, and eight had been filled as of November 2008.

“We are preparing the office and once the suspension has been lifted, which we hope it will, then government will decide what sort of team will be needed to start operations,” Kakhobwe said.

Read more on U.S. aid reform online, and subscribe to The Development Newswire to receive top international development headlines from the world’s leading donors, news sources and opinion leaders — emailed to you FREE every business day.

You have 2 free articles left
Log in or sign-up to unlock all of the free news on Devex.

About the author

  • Eliza villarino 400x400

    Eliza Villarino

    Eliza Villarino currently manages one of today’s leading publications on humanitarian aid, global health and international development, the weekly GDB. At Devex, she has helped grow a global newsroom, with talented journalists from major development hubs such as Washington, D.C, London and Brussels. She regularly writes about innovations in global development.

Join the Discussion