World leaders have offered condolences and humanitarian aid while international organizations have put response teams on standby to assist Turkey, where more than 1,000 people are feared dead following a magnitude-7.2 earthquake that struck in the eastern part of the country on Sunday (Oct. 23).
At least 217 people are confirmed dead from the earthquake as of early Monday in Turkey. The toll is expected to rise as rescuers work round-the-clock through the rubble in hardest-hit Ecris, a city near the country’s border with Iran and home to approximately 75,000. Sunday’s earthquake is said to be the strongest to have hit Turkey in 10 years.
The United Nations and several of its member states, along with international humanitarian organizations, said they are ready to send aid as needed.
The International Medical Corps, meanwhile, said it has deployed a team in the Turkish capital city of Ankara to monitor the situation in the quake-hit eastern region and assess how the group can assist in the response.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and leaders of the United States, Canada, and the European Union have offered condolences to those affected by the disaster, pledging to provide aid if requested by the Turkish government.
The Turkish government has yet to formally request humanitarian or technical assistance and has so far declined all offers of assistance, Reuters says, citing a statement from a Turkish foreign ministry official.
Read more development aid news online, and subscribe to The Development Newswire to receive top international development headlines from the world’s leading donors, news sources and opinion leaders — emailed to you FREE every business day.