Nonprofit research and advocacy organization OMB Watch urged the U.S. government to promote greater aid transparency at the recently concluded Millennium Development Goals summit.
In an open letter, the organization called on the Obama administration to:
- Publicly announce at the summit a commitment to aid transparency.
- Commit to “vigorously and expeditiously” implement the aid transparency initiative specified in the U.S. MDG strategy.
- Ensure that the U.S. “actively” participates in the International Aid Transparency Initiative.
- Explore other measures to bolster aid transparency and coordination.
- Demand “high standards” of transparency from other aid institutions.
Publish What You Fund voiced a similar concern.
“Publish What You Fund hopes that the MDG Summit in New York points to improved integration of aid transparency in its strategy for achieving the goals,” according to a news release from the advocacy group.