UN appeals for funding in Mindanao

The United Nations has appealed for $38 million to help thousands of displaced Filipinos in Mindanao during the launch of its 2012 humanitarian action plan in Manila, Philippines.

The appeal is almost $5 million more than the previous year — which was set at $33.3 million. But as of Dec. 11, only 54 percent of last year’s appeal has been filled.

For this year’s action plan, however, U.N. humanitarian coordinator for the Philippines Jacqui Badcock said early and sustained donor funding is “critical” to the success of the action plan.

“The situation remains fragile, and the people continue to live in fear and uncertainty,” she said. “Our goal is to help them rebuild their lives as quickly as possible.”

The funding will be used to provide relief and livelihood support to about 680,000 people in central Mindanao affected by severe flooding this year. It will also help fund critical infrastructure projects and provide protection for civilians in the island who are affected by continuous fighting between the Philippine government and various separist groups in the region.

Read more:

Read more development aid news online, and subscribe to The Development Newswire to receive top international development headlines from the world’s leading donors, news sources and opinion leaders — emailed to you FREE every business day.

About the author

  • Jenny Lei Ravelo

    Jenny Lei Ravelo is a Devex Senior Reporter based in Manila. She covers global health, with a particular focus on the World Health Organization, and other development and humanitarian aid trends in Asia Pacific. Prior to Devex, she wrote for ABS-CBN, one of the largest broadcasting networks in the Philippines, and was a copy editor for various international scientific journals. She received her journalism degree from the University of Santo Tomas.